MSB Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ground floor lighting MSB tripped the other day, but when flicking the circuit back on, the lights have not come back on - i would have expected the MSB to trip again if there was a problem, but it remains in the on position with no lights on.

I would be grateful for any ideas as to what may have happened?

Sponsored Links
pablospamio said:
Our ground floor lighting MSB tripped the other day, but when flicking the circuit back on, the lights have not come back on - i would have expected the MSB to trip again if there was a problem, but it remains in the on position with no lights on.

i would advise you call an electrician to come and install an MCB

Sponsored Links
These things are designed to trip even if you are holding the switch. So possibly if there is still a short on your lighting, then the mcb would have tripped again while you were trying to push it back on. This might have left it with the switch in the 'on' position, but actually switched off. I am told some mcb do this.

What was happening when it tripped? anything strange? did a bulb fail and cause it to trip? Anyone hammering in nails? mice eating wires?

Does it normally trip when a bulb goes? Again, was it a bulb failing which caused it to trip off. If it was, then concievably the mcb has worn out and just will not work. If there is no obvious explanation, then I would suspect the mcb is fine but you have a problem somewhere else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back