Can someone please check my diagram. Please!

Sponsored Links
thanks for getting back to me jj.

another question please.

the instructions on the spot lights say i need to use 10mm cable.
to down size from the original cable do i use a junction box?

also from the third light (i.e before the spotlights) can i put a junction box in place so i can take the cable to another bedroom?

All junction boxes need to be accessible. Never heard of 10mm cable being used in a lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
If you compare 12 to 230 volt lamps at 1.5mm for 230v and 10mm for 12v and 50w lamps in both and say 10 meters of cable.
230v = 0.217A = 63mV volt drop
12v = 4.16A = 183mV volt drop
with 1.5mm cable 12v = 1.2V volt drop
Looking at those figures I can see why 10mm cable would be recommended however one has to consider how close the inverter or transformer is from the lamp!
If as in my bathroom a single unit supplies 4 lamps with separate cable to each lamp the 4mm would be ample but if daisy changed then the 10mm would make sense.
4 lamps equal spread on 10 meters of 10mm cable will mean last lamp has a 0.36 volt drop at 12 volt this is quite a lot.
Good reason for using GU10 where permitted instead.

10mm makes me think an error has been made - GU10 are 230v?
10mm is the size which you would normally use for an electric shower, bit on the big side for 5 mains 50w lamps!
Is the fan a timed variety?
Are you going to run the supply to the light switch, join the 2 neutrals in there, the 2 earths in there and run L, N & E to each lamp?
The circuit for the bathroom needs to be RCD protected.
This work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.

Have you missed a decimal point when reading, e.g. it might be stating that it must be run in a minimum of 1.0mm, which would make sense...

sorry my bad. it is meant to read 1.0mm

thanks for the replies everyone cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back