insulation for workshop in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to construct a small workshop cabin inside my large, cold garage. What would people's recommendations be for insulation material between the inner and outer walls (which will be prob ext. osb and/or ply)? Also, do I need a dpm anywhere in that mix and if so, where?

Will be putting a floor down (again, of osb I imagine) so will put dpm under that on the existing concrete floor.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
dpm should be on the "warm" side of insulation, to prevent condensation within it.

you might consider insulating foam slabs. They are more expensive than fibreglass or mineral wool quilt, but you might find it quick and easy to include in the wall construction. You can also use it under the flooring, as your concrete base will be cold.

I have recently become very fond of the white insulation rolls, it is made of recycled plastic bottles and does not generate irritating dust and fibres.

Ok thanks for that. To recap, then, from the outside in would this be the way:

Ext grade OSB on top of stud work

insulation in the voids

dpm stapled over inner surface of studs

more OSB or ply for inner walls

As for that insulation you mention, what is it called?

Sponsored Links
you could also use expanded polystyrene, which is cheaper.

why not use plasterboard for the inside walls? It is also fireproof and you can get it with a foil backing.

Ok thanks for tips. What about the floor? cant have it too thick as head height is already limited, so was thinking of dm on concrete, polystyrene or similar, then osb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back