help with redesigning roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 3 episodes of water flooding in through the side extension roof. i had help from this forum in july 2007 and after a great deal of investigation found out that the side extension was illegal.

i believe that the reason for illegality was the roof design. now there may be a chance of compensation so that the roof can be fixed but i need help and guidance.

it is a side sloping roof with a box valley gutter between the two neigbouring extensions with a single wall inbetween. The other roof is at a higher ground level. the tiles are the ordinary clay tiles which need a 35 degree pitch. ours is only 27 as the walls were raised as it were to meet the other roof for the gutter.

the construction of the gutter is faulty. it is lopsided and tips water to our side. the lead is laid out in sheets and the upstand bit of the wall is practically non existent in some places. the lead does not go under the tiles very much at all. there is only one open end for the gutter.

if the roof angle is made to 35 degrees our roof will become even more lower and the tiles subjected to water onslaught from the other roof. It cannot be raised as there are three windows on the side wall.

i want to change the design of the roof so it has forward and backward slants so that our roof drainage becomes independent of the other property.

i do not know how they will deal with my changing the roof design to forward/backward rather than a side slope. i dont know what options there are for them

Please advise me how to sort out this problem as i see no other option. I will not change the tiles as then my main roof will become different friom the extension roof.

Please give me ideas asap. Thanks. I took some photographs and am posting that too.

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x226/seema15/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back