High pressure cold supply - which boiler is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, sorry if this post is already covered.

The 'problem' is that we moved into our house just over a year ago and were informed that the combi boiler was brand new, which It was.
However because they were moving out, I think they opted for the cheapest one.
The problem we've got is that the boiler cannot handle the cold supply as it is very powerful.
The radiators are hot all the time but the hot water supply is very poor and comes out luke warm unless you turn it to a trickle and then its really hot (but you can imagine how long it takes to fill the bath!!).
I was informed by the service engineer that it is two small for our supply and we need to upgrade, which is fair enough.
How do I go about choosing the right one? Is there any way of testing the pressure myself without buying a gadget that will be used just once?
Can you actually get one thats TOO good and will be damaged?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frankie.

Sponsored Links
Hi Frankie
What boiler do you have? If you want an improved hot water supply then you'll need to buy a new boiler, which it seems you've worked out already.

As for choosing the right one, the pressure/water flow rate coming into your property is irrelevant. You just need a boiler that can deliver a higher rate (measured in litres per minute) of hot water. If the flow of water is massively high then a pressure reducing valve can be fitted to your incoming supply, this will reduce the flow through your boiler and give it time to heat the water.

As for advice on which boiler to get, a little more info would be useful. How many baths/showers/basins etc do you have? Do you want a wall-mounted or floor standing boiler? What does it run on (mains gas, LPG, oil??) and finally of course, what is your budget?

The cheapest and simplest option is to turn the hot taps off a bit to restrict the flow and therefore get the water hotter.

If you have really good cold mains pressure/flow, then hardly any of the standard combis will allow you to turn the hot taps on fully. It is a learning curve for you.

Have you had a combi before?

If you want to change the combi then, if the supply is really good and this would need to be properly tested, I would recommend a 37Kw + combi boiler.

The Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 would fit the bill, but then so would the Worcester Greenstar 42, or for a cheaper built boiler the Broag 39C.

The disadvantage is, that the more powerful the combi, the larger the gas supply has to be to let it work correctly on full power.

Sponsored Links
not knowing the actual boiler, because you never said ;)
many boilers are fitted with an adjustable flow regulator which is part of the commisioning process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back