Levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its always intrigued me how workmen manage to get those thick wooden posts (about 2 ft high) that are placed around grassland or in town centres.

They are always perfectly level even if the ground is uneven. Same with garden fence posts too.

How is it done please :?:

Sponsored Links
SpiritLevel_7004.jpg

:LOL: I asked for that!

What I meant was they manage to get all the posts at the same height.

A link to how they do this task from start to finish would help. :D

Sponsored Links
Bahco - the trick's over 2000 years old (the Romans* used the method of range poles, the Groma, the Chorobate) ... 'skill & line of sight'. Get the first 2 posts in (1st & last) to the required depth then sink the rest whilst casting a line of sight across the tops ("up a bit, down a bit, right a bit, left a bit, stop"). Or the 3 pole method ... 'skill & line of sight'. Or again you could use a string line between the 1st & the last and fit the rest to the height of the string.

*basically crossed sticks (or a large protractor and a plumb-bob).

we still use string and line of sight. maybe im old fashioned but it works for me, rather than a very expensive laser!

i watched an industrial revelations programme with the guy from the fast show on it. He showed how they plotted out one of the first canals using the 3 pole method. went for bloody miles!

mark williams! i couldnt think of it at the time. He lives down in my neck of the woods. saw him recently at a wood show. I dont know if he has a part in writing the scripts for the show, but he really makes the explanations simple and brings it to life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back