Which Oil fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help here, the information out there is a nightmare to wade through!

I have a wall mounted Grandee boiler which is connected to a boiler mate in the airing cupboard.
The boilermate has an immersion heater fitted which is leaking and has corroded everything.
I've been told that tryng to sort the immersion heater could damage the tank!!!
If this happens I was advised to buy a combi boiler instead of shelling out for a new boilermate.

So if everything does go pear shaped which boiler to go for?
Hope for the best plan for the worst!!

Would like the wall fired unit to replace the exisiting boiler.
Or should I just if needed buy the replacement boilermate.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If there's nowt wrong with the boiler why replace it? - I won't replace anything that's not broken unless customer insists.
As a user I prefer stored hot water systems to combi's (although combi's are easier to fit).
Personally I'd try and get the existing problem fixed which may lead to replacing the Boilermate. At least your plumber has given you the worst case scenario so no surprises !
I'm sure you'll get a number of replies on the Combi V stored issue. :)

I would advise steering well clear of oil combies. They are easy to fit, that's it. There are NO other advantages, and plenty of disadvantages. If you decide to have one, you will remember this advice one day. A hot water tank would be better than a Boilermate IMO.

Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully the guy will be able to replace the immersion heater and make sure it's all sealed off correctly this time.

It's all only 9 years old, and everything seems to work very well, I do like having hot water at mains pressure!!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Boilermates usually split or fall to pieces when attempting any work on them.

I wont touch the old ones for water related problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back