drainage problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.
here is my problem!
there are 5 houses in question, 9, 10,11,12,14.
my neighbour @ 9 is the end of the sewer, they had sewage coming up through there down stair shower, so they called the council to rod the drain! there is a man hole in 9,10 and 14,... the blockage was cleared, but they are saying that there may be damage to the pipe between 11 and 12 around the fence line, they have now told 9,10,11 and 12 that we have to have a cctv survey with only 6 days notice or they will send there contractors to do it, and charge us..
does any one know if they can inforce this? they say that this is private drainage and not public! but i have been adviced that private is classed up to the main run( the t peace)
thanks

Sponsored Links
Go on the website and find your local council website,( I think it's Environment and Planning section) and they should give you the number for your water companies for your area and they will tell you if it's free, In our area if the property built in the pre- 37's then it's free. ( your date and rules might be difference to ours) I don't know if it's the same in your area. (this only apply to mutli-drains and not single drain)

Sadly so many people got caught out in this as they didn't know about it.

These Drain Rod companies are turning a blind eye to rip customers off :cry:

This is from my area FAQ

Drains and Sewers - Cleaning
What should I do if a Public Sewer blocks?
Ring Anglian Water on 08457 145145 to report the problem.
What should I do if a Private Sewer blocks?
Speak to the owners of the other properties served by the sewer at the point of the defect to reach an agreement to jointly employ a contractor to clear or repair it.
What if my neighbours and I can't agree to jointly employ a contractor to clear a Private Sewer?
Contact the Environmental Protection team who will arrange for an Environmental Health Officer to visit the site to investigate the cause of the blockage and decide who is responsible for clearing or repairing the sewer. They may then serve formal Notices on the relevant owners requiring them to either cleanse the sewer or carry out repairs. Failure to comply with the Notice will result in the work being done by the Council and each of the owners being sent an appropriate portion of the bill.

Contact the Environmental Protection team who will arrange for an Environmental Health Officer to visit the site to investigate the cause of the blockage and decide who is responsible for clearing or repairing the sewer. They may then serve formal Notices on the relevant owners requiring them to either cleanse the sewer or carry out repairs. Failure to comply with the Notice will result in the work being done by the Council and each of the owners being sent an appropriate portion of the bill.

this is exactly what has happened, number 9 contacted them! i will call anglian water 2moro! when does a sewer go from private to public?

all the best and many thanks ;)

Make sure your area is under Anglian Water, I don't think you have to wait until tomorrow as it's 24hrs service

Sponsored Links
The situation with private drains is that everyone is responsible for the drains under their land.

But for blockages, everyone "upstream" to the blockage is responsible for a pro-rata contribution to the costs of clearing the blockage (unless its actual defective drains which are the cause).

If no-one wants to contribute, then the options are for the affected party to pay for the work and demand payment or take out a civil court claim against the non-payers.

Or, the council may be able carry out work under there powers within the Building Act, or environmental legislation, but this is not always the case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back