electricity fuse box/meter back board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I would like some advice as to if i am allowed to trim or move the wooden board that my fusebox and electricity meter is attatched to. I am intstalling a small understairs toilet etc and dont want to box the meter board in in this space to gain maximum space i need to trim the wooden board that my fuse box and meter are on down by several inchs.

I am aware that the meter is not my property it is the elec companys but i dont want to move this just shorten the board, can i legally do this?

cheers,

Sponsored Links
If you can fathom a way to shorten the board without removing it from the wall then yes, but go steady. Can we see a photo?

Steve, thanks for the response.

Unfortunatley dont have access to my digital camera at the moment,

Does this mean that i can legally shorten the board as long as i dont remove it from the wall?

Am i not allowed to move the board off the wall as its the elec companys?

If i get a qualified spark to move my fuse box off the board that the meters on can i cut the wooden back board from of the elec meter down considerably?

Cheers

Andy

Dont take the board off the wall. Main incoming cables are notoriously fragile. Old ones will probably explod if you move them.

I'm not sure but the board may well belong to the supplier, so dont go cutting it down too much. Leave space around the equipment to replace and work on it. And dont forget it still needs to be fixed to the wall. You dont want to end up with a meter-shaped piece of wood that you cant actually do anything with lol

Sponsored Links
Easiesat way without removing the board is probably to chain drill, (series of holes very close together), then with a hacksaw blade just cut across the holes. Not the best finish but with some patience and a rasp/file could probably achieve a saisfactory result.

JUST DON'T CUT/NICK THE CABLES!!! ;)

Cut mine down with a drywall saw. Now id use my Bosch multi purpose tool with a saw blade to plunge cut it.
Or hire a Fien mulitmaster for a day the Bosch is a cheaper version and quite good too glad i have one in my toolkit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back