Noisy New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We've just (Friday) had a boiler replaced on the warm front grant... (Old back boiler disconnected, new boiler fitted up where the hot water tank was.)

It's an Ideal Isar HE35 ... reading these forums now, and seeing people's comments about this make, fills me with dread!! But, we didn't get given any choices on it..

The problem. . Within hours of fitting, it's making noises. Very loud, rhythmic thrumming type noises. It's intermittent, but fairly frequent. I'm having to switch the thing off overnight to stop it scaring the kids..

Now we're expecting an engineer back from the firm to look at it, but my worry is that this is an indication that we've got a lemon, and should I be insisting that it be replaced.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated..

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
There is supposedly an issue with noisy diverter valves on some of these boilers. If that's the case should be an easy fix. If it's causing problems overnight ask for a pre heat disablement kit to be fitted. Without this the boiler will fire up at intervals to keep the heat exchanger warm. The downside is a longer delay in getting hot water but if gives the kids a good nights sleep it's worth the minor inconvenience.

If it's been fitted to normal warmfront standards, the system is full of crud and affecting the boiler.

You won't have been given any choice on boiler as Ideal are in with warmfront and if warmfront didn't buy them (or should I say get given them :rolleyes: ) Ideal would probably go bust, as no-one else seems to fit them anymore :eek:

If it's been fitted to normal warmfront standards, the system is full of crud and affecting the boiler.

This is probably quite likely. I didn't see them doing any kind of power flushing, just a drain and refill, and I know it's not had a flush in the six years I've been here.. It's actually had a few drains though over the last couple of months as we've been having other work done that affected some of the pipework, and every time the water was filthy.

They fitted some sort of dirt filter, and put in X100 and X300 according to the labels stuck on the boiler. From further reading of this forum it seems as if the choice of cleaner could have been improved on..

As it happens, the noises have been somewhat less frequent today; maybe it's just settling down..

Sponsored Links
X300 is the wrong chemical in your case :eek:

This is for new systems up to 6 months old :rolleyes:

They should have used X800 for a quick one visit clean.

What a bunch of wasters :mad:

The thrumming is a new innovation by Ideal.... It tells you that the thing is still working.. :LOL:

Seriously though... Millions of Isars have been fitted over the years, and a couple of them are still working.

The thrumming is a new innovation by Ideal.... It tells you that the thing is still working.. :LOL:

Seriously though... Millions of Isars have been fitted over the years, and a couple of them are still working.

:LOL: :LOL:

LOL also.
Well, we're expecting a visit on Weds from them, so if it's still making a racket then, then they'll find out the hard way that it's best not to mess us (well, my better half..) about!

If this thrumming noise is when the hot water is turned down to almost off and also when the heating has well warmed up the rads than it could be that the mixture setting has not been checked on installation.

There should be a Benchmark Certificate with the boiler. Has this been filled in? You should insist on that.

Its difficult if you are not paying anything towards the boiler to have much say in what they fit or how well ( badly ) they do the work.

Tony

Why is it difficult to have any say , they are still the customer no matter who is paying :rolleyes:

Why is it difficult to have any say , they are still the customer no matter who is paying :rolleyes:

I would say that they are the beneficiary rather than the customer!

A paying customer has the ultimate ability to withold payment!

Thats not available to a fully funded grant aided installation.

Tony

Its simple its fitted in there house they are the customer, they also sometimes get to choose the installer and the boiler

If you don't think the system has been properly flushed make sure you tell the warmfront inspector when he does the inspection. He can take a sample of water and check it. If it hasn't been flushed the installer will get a remedial to come back and complete the job properly.

If this thrumming noise is when the hot water is turned down to almost off and also when the heating has well warmed up the rads than it could be that the mixture setting has not been checked on installation.
I've not tried it that way round, but it was doing it last night with the heating right down at min and the water at about half. When I switched it back on this morning, after putting heating at last notch before max, I got a long sustained thrumming immediately, before it settled.

There should be a Benchmark Certificate with the boiler. Has this been filled in? You should insist on that.
We didn't get anything like that, only a gas cert. Having said that, they've not actually finished the electrics yet, as they were short of electricians on the day for some reason, so maybe I'll get it when they've been. I'll certainly ask.

Its difficult if you are not paying anything towards the boiler to have much say in what they fit or how well ( badly ) they do the work.

Never the less, somebody is paying, so they need to be accountable. Should it become a real issue, we've got absolutely no problem taking things as far up the ladder as needed.

I would say that they are the beneficiary rather than the customer!

A paying customer has the ultimate ability to withold payment!

Thats not available to a fully funded grant aided installation.

Tony

Yep. We've actually had surprisingly little paperwork, however I'd suspect that our agreement would be with the Warm Front team, and Warmer Heating Ltd are acting as sub-contractors for them. I'll have to dig into this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back