Planning bathroom - any software? And a soil stack Q.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have completely gutted our old "Victorian" look bathroom and would like to take time considering the new layout. Does anybody know of any planning software, which could help us?

A soil stack question: presently the waste pipe for two showers and the bath runs along the floor so it doesn't have a fall, in fact it has a slight rise! I want to relay it, if necessary using some of the floor cavity to achieve a decent fall. (Might need to notch one or two joists slightly as they run across its route). At the moment it exits the house and turns 90 degrees downwards to enter the soil stack vertically through a strapped-on "saddle". Can it enter at an angle, say from about 45 degrees above?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I guessed somebody might say that. However even if I cut a slot in the flooring and lay the waste in that I will at least achieve a fall, which will be better than the rise the builder gave it!

For software try Googles sketchup. Its a 3d modelling program, its free, very easy to use once you've gotten over the initial horror of it looking hard.
You can also download objects for it like sinks cabinets etc.
You design it exactly how you want, putting in all your own measurements, colours, shades, shapes etc.

Sponsored Links
keeping a consistent 2.5 degree fall is going to save you trouble in the future.
obtaining planning permission/ signing off for building regs would also be a good idea as it is compulsory these days.
would be a bummer if you get someone from the council ordering you to destroy the bathroom in a few years time.

*coff* how would they ever know?
Easy, from your future purchaser’s surveyor ;) ! If they have any suspicions of non compliant building works, their report will say so & you’re buyer’s mortgage company won’t advance the money; even more so in today’s lending environment. "Nuffin to do wiv me guv" is an ever decreasing option these days, they really aren’t stupid & it will be down to you to prove otherwise!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back