Slated Roof in Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I understand that the practise in Scotland when it comes to slating a roof is to fit sarking boards, followed by Type 1F underfelt and then nail the slates directly to the sarking boards.

I note that the galvanised nails have come through the sarking boards and in the winter frost is evident right at the end of the nails. Is this normal ?

I note that the Type 1 felt projects past the roof eaves into the half round gutters. Is this the standard practise or is it more normal to use PVC eaves carriers ? I was concerned that the felt would deterioate over time by being exposed in the sun light ?

Look forward to your comments.

Sponsored Links
[/quote] understand that the practise in Scotland when it comes to slating a roof is to fit sarking boards, followed by Type 1F underfelt and then nail the slates directly to the sarking boards.

correct!.

[/quote]I note that the galvanised nails have come through the sarking boards and in the winter frost is evident right at the end of the nails. Is this normal ?

no not normal you have condensation in your loft.

[/quote]I note that the Type 1 felt projects past the roof eaves into the half round gutters. Is this the standard practise

standard practise!

Hi Alastair

Thanks for your reply.

You could see the frost on the end of the nails when the building was wind and water tight - it was not insulated or plasterboarded at that time.

I have read that Type 5U felt is recommended for use at the eaves as it is polymer based and UV resistant. Is this correct ?

Is the Type 1F likely to fail soon being exposed to the UV light from the sun ?

Given that metal conducts heat (or cold) well, a cold outdoors would be conducted down the nail such that the nails themselves end up as cold spikes onto which moisture in the air can condense, forming frost. If the building is wind and water tight, it also expalins why the air within it is moist.

Remember; warm air can hold more vapourized water than cold air, o when the warm wet air hits the nail and cools, it condenses its water out cause it can't hold it any more.

And for alastair.. the [/quote] (with the slash) goes at the end of their text.. the
(without the slash) goes at the start:

[quote]
his text
[/quote]
your text

:)

Sponsored Links
is it more normal to use PVC eaves carriers ? I was concerned that the felt would deterioate over time by being exposed in the sun light ?

eaves trays are used when tiling a roof. the type 1f will detrioate through time but makes no difference to the integrity of your roof, its the slates which are your roof covering not the felt.

Thanks cjard.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back