ravenheat condensing boiler making noise earlier now code 01

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ravenheat condensing boiler, it was making a clunkimg noise earlier then straight after a quick bubbling water noise and now it keeps cutting out when i try to turn it on it trys to start but shuts out and the code 01 comes up on the digi clock any help please.

Sponsored Links
the manual says,
check condensate drain if is not blocked
check gas valve operation
check the fan starts
check ignition control boards and cables

combine that with the noise, and i would look first at the condensate route

Sponsored Links
is this the pipe that runs away from the boiler through the wall to outside, if so i have also joined the bath waste and sing waste via a tee to this so they will all run out together, it has happened since these were fitted but wether it is connected or not i dont know as i am not a plumber

That fault decode is a bit of a joke! It pretty much just says there is some fault with the boiler!

Disconnect the boiler's condensate pipe and put it into a bucket as a test and see if it works.

As the problem started when you fiddled with the drainage route then it seems most likely that you have caused the problem yourself.

Tony

before i started all seemed ok with the boiler and the condensate pipe was connected via a grey clasp thing that cuts a hole into the 40mm waste that was fitted to go outside, but since the sink and bath waste were connected via a tee into this waste pipe also things started to go wrong and the pressure un the taps has gone to, if i turn a sink and bath taps on together the sink tap will almost stop

check the condensate trap is not blocked, the ball inside this trap can cause it to block with dirt,

Ravenheat Low Nox boilers have an awful design flaw when it comes to the internal condensate pipe inside the boiler! The earlier models had a cheap and nasty condensate pipe from the bottom of the main H/E to the trap, Check the fall of this pipe and make sure that the condensate is able to drain from the H/E. See a few of these boilers rotting with rust due to blocked / leaking internal condensate pipe!

Cars now have very thin radiator hoses which operate at pretty much the same as boiler pipework.

Its ages since I came across a failed rad hose but boilers seem to suffer from many!

I have had many failed petrol flexible hoses though.

Tony

Check the fall of this pipe and make sure that the condensate is able to drain from the H/E

This seems the best option at the moment as the problem has occured since doing this work.

If the condensate cannot be removed then the boiler will fail.

Let us know the results.

Jon

the manual says,
check condensate drain if is not blocked
check gas valve operation
check the fan starts
check ignition control boards and cables
Of more interest to me is the fact that it comes under the heading 'FAILED IGNITION SEQUENCE'
If perchance the flame sensing wire connects to the condensate trap try disconnecting it from there and wrapping some electricians tape round it. What I find happening a lot lately with the cold is that the flame sensing current is lost to earth in the trap through the condensation inside the trap.
FAO CC members for me this trick has cured intermittent operation and flame failure faults on a Heatline vizo plus, Ravenheat CSI85T a solo HE and a Baxi 100HE during recent cold weather. No guarantees as ever but it is a tool in the box of knowledge.

FAO CC members for me this trick has cured intermittent operation and flame failure faults on a Heatline vizo plus, Ravenheat CSI85T a solo HE and a Baxi 100HE during recent cold weather. No guarantees as ever but it is a tool in the box of knowledge.

Whilst I would do that for testing, I would never leave it that way because the boiler might be damaged if the condensate backed up!

I would also say its inappropriate advice for many DIYers like this one who dont seem very careful or concerned when they have faults of their own making like this one.

Of course I suppose it will give us more work to do when the boiler is seriously spoilt !

Tony

Good points Tony I did forget to mention that if that trick works then the lead should be replaced with a one piece lead rather than risk the tape fall off with age. Regarding your other point I am aware that it is an official Ravenheat modification and believe from experience that this is also the case with heatline. I cant say how baxi look at it.If anyone knows their views perhaps they would like to add to the topic. All I can say is that 2 baxi owners now have boilers that work which didn't before.
Obviously I wouldn't dream of doing this for anything other than testing purposes on a boiler with a weak condensing HE such as an Isar. Fact is that Ravenheat are so confident of some of their secondary HEs that on some models such as the CSI Primary they have fitted the trap in an inaccessible location knowing that it would not get full during its lifespan.

Fact is that Ravenheat are so confident of some of their secondary HEs that on some models such as the CSI Primary they have fitted the trap in an inaccessible location knowing that it would not get full during its lifespan.

I dont think thats a fact at all. Just that it was the only place they could easily put it and to hell with the servicer or repairer!

There is one boiler with the condensate trap held on with a 10 mm screw on the left hand side of the boiler but they only ask for 10 mm clearance to the left of the boiler so the screw cannot be removed if no additional space is left for tools! That means the trap cannot be removed to clean etc.

Furthermore that boiler has a reputation amongst its service engineers for sticky balls!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back