Next door neighbour draining surface water into my garden

The first thing i would do is get advice from the council. If the advice was not to my satisfaction i would then block them regardless. Your situation is totally out of order, unlucky you have to experience rubbish like this.

Sponsored Links
As to the fence it is mine as its on my land ( garden ) and i had no choice to put it up as when we were on holiday his kids aged 16 and 18 were in my garden playing football with my sons goals !!!

Is it your wall below it though?

If not, while you cannot do anything to it (criminal damage) as already stated you are able to build upto it.

Even something simple like getting a sheet of plywood cut to fit, leaning it against the wall then hammering in some stakes will make the water back up.

Although i'd be tempted to take another's suggestion to divert the water back & into his house.... lol

mondy - wait for a dry day when he's out, a squirt of builders foam up each hole (or my earlier posted bungs), and as the fence posts are yours fix a couple of gravel boards to cover. The advantage of this method is that you're not damaging his retaining wall and he can't take off your gravel/bs to see why his holes aren't 'working'.

Can you get a couple of tennis balls up the pipes? That way there's no damage - the kids were playing and the balls got lost, it's just an accident......

Sponsored Links
Good point, is he perhaps getting the run off from one of his neighbours?

My previous house was on a steep hill. The rainwater from everyone's garden ran downhill onto next door and so on to the bottom of the hill. Is this not what you'd expect water to do?

I confess that I wouldn't like it either but after all if the wall wasn't there the water would still follow gravity wouldn't it?

yes it would, down into his own garden, look at the photos

Either bung up the holes or catch the water in a tub and tip it back over the fence. He could easily have put the pipes to drain on his own land but chose to put it on yours. What could he say to the council if he does not like it? That you have stopped him dumping on your land and he wants to continue? I think he would get told to sort it himself, don't do all the running around for him.

what you do is dig a hole beneath where the water is coming in waterproof it with a liner cover the hole with some mesh or similar so you can put some turf back on top. put a pump in and run a pipe along the fence carry it through past the end of his garden and pump it back in .you can conceal the end under the turf,he will never know .

ps.

i cannot be held responsible for any ideas given by me,and you take full responsiblilty for your actions .

I always thought that you had to have a 'right of drainage' to do something like this. If so, as with rights of way and rights for other services, they should be on your/their deeds.

You can get rights of drainage for properties lower than yours, over a long time.
However in this case the neighbour is draining the water sideways, it should not be done like this.

a dry period, expanding foam the hole, then once set mortar the hole up to make the wall look good, then paint the wall white, then put some flowers, grass on it.

I'm pretty sure you need planning permission for building drainage like that. By concentrating the water in such a way he is damaging your property. Building regs will alos have something to say about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back