Drive drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've removed about 2 or 3 metres of concrete driveway at the side of my house. It was two layers about 2 inch thick each. The plan is to replace it with the same limestone gravel as the rest of the front garden. I didn't really want paving at the walls as I want to lower the ground level further below the DPC.

As the soil is clay and the water level is high in the area, I've now got standing water with all this rain. pools here and there 2 inches deep on average. Presumably, the rain water used to run off the concrete to the boundary and I've given it somewhere to stay.

I'm wondering is this water also probably under the existing gravel but I just cant see it?

Will I have to address the lack of drainage on the clay before I fill the new area with hardcore and gravel?

Having read around a bit I'm thinking I need to compact the clay down first and make sure its slightly angled away from the house?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Think I might have found the answer to my own question.. http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back