Wiring a switch and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rough idea but can anyone help.
I want to put a light in the loft space and have a fused supply from a socket to feed the light.

I am not sure how to do the switch. Do I take the feed to the light fitting and then how do I wire it back to the switch :?:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Loft lights are a bit different for room lights because the supply cable normally comes from low level up to the lights. So it's normally easier to fit the switch in the supply cable as it runs up to the light. The live would be switched in the normal way and the neutral (and earth cables) joined in choc blocks.

If your feed is already at the light just run a T&E cable from the light to the switch.

At the switch - brown in common, blue in L1 with a bit of brown tape on it.

At the light - Brown connected to the live feed in a separate terminal block, blue from the switch into the live of the light with another piece of brown tape to identify it as switched live.

I'm assuming your using the new colours. If not brown = red, blue = black.

If you are using new colours, put a sticker on the CU (hand written Avery is fine) saying that the installation has mixed colour wiring.

Feed is via FCU.

So, I feed light from FCU as planned and then from the light back to the switch attaching reds together and back to Common. The blues together at light and back to L 1 and earths as per.

Does that sound right or shall I go back to the plumbing forum and stay there . :D

You have an odd colour combination! You'll either have red+black cables or brown+blue. (OK - there are some more but I won't bore you with them!)

At the light:
Browns connect together but to nothing else.
Blue from supply cable to N
Blue from the switch cable (with brown sleeve) to L

At the switch
Brown to C
Blue (with brown sleeve) to L1

All the earths need to be connected too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back