Self Build Shed

big-all is quite correct, feather edge is better applied horizontally.

However, in my case it's purely cosmetic, I prefer the look of it vertically, and as the ply is used is WBP, I have my water protection in that.

A lot of thought obviously went into Big-all's shed, it's a beauty!

Sponsored Links
If you want a shed the best way is to build your own :LOL: it works out allot chaeper and better quality, we built one last year and it was a fun project to work on, if you plan on using T&G like i did then i would say shop around thats what we did and it worked out allot cheaper than the builder yard near us, we bought ours from a local company that build garages and sheds and was happy to sell us some cheap T&G.

Here is what we built last summer its currently a gym and playroom with a pool table and dart board and stuff but thinking of turning it into a workshop this summer.

Your shed's better than my house.

I used shiplap cladding but found it shrinks badly on the sunny side, then swells back when it's damp. It remains tight on the shaded side whatever the weather. It was much dearer than feather edge and I thought it would be much more substantial but have been very disappointed.

Recycled a big gate I'd made out of feather edge (vertically) to use as a big opening door on same shed (put a wheel on it so it's easy to open and provides extra support) and it's stayed much tighter in the sun than the shiplap. Perhaps someone can give hints about using shiplap, in order to avoid this shrinkage problem?

Your shed's better than my house.

I used shiplap cladding but found it shrinks badly on the sunny side, then swells back when it's damp. It remains tight on the shaded side whatever the weather. It was much dearer than feather edge and I thought it would be much more substantial but have been very disappointed.

Recycled a big gate I'd made out of feather edge (vertically) to use as a big opening door on same shed (put a wheel on it so it's easy to open and provides extra support) and it's stayed much tighter in the sun than the shiplap. Perhaps someone can give hints about using shiplap, in order to avoid this shrinkage problem?

on shiplap txg you have to find its absolute minimum size when thoroughly dry my 5" worked out as 108mm coverage so you add 2 or3mm for expansion then you can work with it with a bit more moisture content

as long as the wood remains less than 111mm you can space it properly without any fear of seperation or excesive expansion

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info about shiplap big-all. Have five long lengths to use up, hopefully get better results following your guidance.

Hi Fellas, here is todays work, what a lovely day for it!

0901270013.jpg

0901270014.jpg

0901270016.jpg

Hate to spoil the fun but have you thought about planning permission due to the dimensions of your shed. Envious neighbours may think of it before you do. Also check the distance from the boundary lines. :!: :!:

i wouldn't worry too much about planning permission

this is what it says about sheds.

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

when we built ours we just checked the neighbours sheds and garages and they all seemed to be right on the boundary

Cheers for that Leeco
Yup I had already checked that I wasn't in contravention of planning and building regs!
Believe it or not the garden is actually 100ft long, although the pic makes it look smaller. The next nearest house is next door so it's not even a nuisance to anyone else.

Cheers for that Leeco
Yup I had already checked that I wasn't in contravention of planning and building regs!
Believe it or not the garden is actually 100ft long, although the pic makes it look smaller. The next nearest house is next door so it's not even a nuisance to anyone else.
the nearest house would be next door,,, wouldn't it :?: :?: :confused: :p

Bigall i noticed your floor and if i'm right it's wood not solid concrete,
am interested to know what the best floor would be in terms of ease , cost etc.
i have been thinking of having a go on a shed but need motivating :LOL:

so where are the pictures, i am going to start building mine on saturday and am looking for tips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back