HELP REPLACING A CEILING BATTEN HOLDER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace an existing batten holder type ceiling fitting as the lamp holder crumbled away whilst changing a bulb ! got a similar holder hoping to replicate the connections . undid the original existing batten holder to find that it has different connections (there are three connections directly on the lamp holder) ! the original one has four cables coming in with each having a red and a black wire. all the reds are twisted together and connected on one terminal . three black cables are twisted and connected on a second terminal and one black wire is connected on the third terminal.
The new holder has a base plate with terminals marked loop, n and l and earth -- so the question is how do i make the connections ?
any advice greatfully received
thank you

Sponsored Links
Were there definatly THREE blacks twisted together on your existing fitting?

Could you recheck this? I would normally expect there to be two black wires together.

OP stated 4 cables. Therefore 3 neutrals and one switched return.

OP - put the three blacks that were twisted together in the neutral bar - the blue of the lampholder may already be connected to it. Its the bar with three holes on one end. The four reds to the centre "Loop" terminal (again, has three holes) and the one solitary black to the live connection to the lamp. That will be the end bar with 2 holes.

Obviously ensure the circuit is dead before you work on it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back