Birdsmouth in Raised Tie Trusses

R

RedHerring

I've just ordered the roof trusses for the new garage, it is subject to Building Regs and they are raised tie trusses( for improved head height potential in the future).
Truss clips are provided as part of the order.

My question is brief but I suspect debateable.
Do I cut birdsmouths in the rafters, despite the supplier stating that no cuts, notches, etc should be done without their approval?
Or do I install them without birdsmouths, leaving a minimal bearing surface of the rafter on the wallplate.
I will be asking the supplier for advice, but being aware of the wealth of expertise on this forum I thought it is worth canvassing for opinion.

Sponsored Links
There is no need to cut a birdsmouth as the trusses will sit flat on the wallplate and are fastened via the truss clips. The vertical wall straps hold down the wallplate in turn and secure the whole ensemble. Cutting the trusses will void any warranty attached to the trusses

Yes, when I read about more head room I automatically thought of Attic Trusses. That said I would not advise cutting them unless the manufacturer allows it.

Sponsored Links
they can be b/m'd. there are raised tie fixings available too.

Thanks for the replies. I looked up the truss clips being supplied and they are the basic TC50, not the ones specially designed for raised tie trusses.
I thought I'd get the best advice on here.
I've been advised by the Truss supplier, I'll have to birdsmouth the trusses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back