help with rads - unbalanced on purpose !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow is a T shape, with the horizontal bit all being bedrooms with TRVs on the rads and 'normal' radiators.

The vertical bit of the T is an open plan kitchen, lounge and dining room.
These all have the tall column rads (no trvs)

The thermostat is in the dining room.

The house first thing in the morning is 17 degrees, the heating kicks in and it can take upwards of 2 hours to get the living area to 20.

The bedroom rads all get hot quickly but the living areas dont, they take ages to warm up, although once they get there (2 hours or so) then they're hot.

I have got the living area rad valves all fully open, and the bedroom ones
are balanced (LSV is almost closed). I have taken to turning the bedroom TRVs down after we are up so they shut off and concentrate on the living area.

Why could it be like this? An airlock? Underperforming pump?

Thanks for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the rad in the living room, is undersized.
Has it always bben slow to heat?

Not just one rad in living room.
All 5 column rads in living 'area'.. (Dining room and Lounge) :eek:

It's not just the 'room' thats slow to heat, all the rads are slow to heat as well.

Sponsored Links
It's not just the 'room' thats slow to heat, all the rads are slow to heat as well.

If we're talking about the kind of radiators that are about 6 feet tall, have they been put on the right way up? These radiators can have a baffle inside that directs the water upwards, and it needs to be at the right end.

I've lived here about 18 months and they've always been slow to warm up.

They do get hot eventually... after a few hours.

Yeah the 6ft ones.
How do I know if they're upside down ?
Actually... thinking about it I'm pretty sure they've only got the connections at the bottom... no openings at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back