Roofing work and valley boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

just seeking some advice on some recent work I have had done on a roof and of which I have some concerns, particualry as I dont know much about building!!!!

Amongst the various issues, one of the most worrying was around the installation of a roof valley between the existing building and new extension. To cut a long story short the valley was installed without a valley board underneath supporting it, basically it was hanging in thin air! Luckily one of my builders spotted this but when confronted, the roofer said he was not responsible for putting it in.

Although who was responsible for putting it there can be argued till the cows come home, what my concern is that from a building regs point of view, surely he should of stopped the installation of the roof until one was in place, as continuing to finish the job meant he was in fact building a roof that was not up to standard and therefore negligent? I have done a bit of reading on the internet and from my uninformed knowledge it would seem to go against various BS standards.

Some of the other bits we had problems with are listed below.

No lines had been pulled on roof and slates were out of square

Lead soakers that run up wall of house were overlapping by 25mm to 40mm – should they be 65mm?

Lath was on top of valley rather than underneath leaving a large gap down the whole side (I think the picture attached shows this)

What I am trying to find out is if this is normal or actually a sub standard service and in fact actually producing a roof that is poor quality and not up to the regs and standards. I am not form a building background and dont have a clue, hence I am trying to find from professionals.

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
hi,
valley was installed without a valley board underneath supporting it
get roofer to strip out valley trays and get your builder/joiner to install valley boards.

No lines had been pulled on roof and slates were out of square
were or are out of square? if they are off the square get him to strip em back off strike proper lines and redo as per spec..

Lead soakers that run up wall of house were overlapping by 25mm to 40mm – should they be 65mm?
65mm minimum.

Lath was on top of valley rather than underneath leaving a large gap down the whole side (I think the picture attached shows this)
dont pay him untill you are satisfied he has completed your works to spec.

the valley board should finish flush with the top of the rafter.
this involves cutting trapezium shaped bits of wood between the rafters and plenty of skew nailing.

these trapezium shaped valley boards should be fixed so that they accommodate the width of the valley material (i.e. lead or g.r.p. etc.) and have a bit left over to catch the ends of the roofing battens/lathes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back