Beam fitting advice

Why would the design by your SE be unsuitable? There is generally more than one way to provide a design solution to a problem. He's chosen timber, presumably as a result of discussions with you about what you wanted to see. Maybe he's like me and hates the thought of steel beams encased in faux oak cladding to try and make it look like a timber beam and which never works. Either way, I bet his design stands up, no pun intended.

If you want the timber exposed, there are two ways of dealing with it: paint it with a clear fire retardent such as Albiclear (which some LAs don't like, as it becomes a maintenance issue - and, as Woody say, it's expensive); or check the reduced section size allowing for charring for half an hour in a domestic situation. With the factored up allowance in stresses and the far less onerous deflection requirements under fire, I'd be surprised if timbers of that size did not work quite happily.

And, Woody, you're off on one again! It is not the case that timber beams don't need padstones, whilst steel ones do.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Who said that steel beams needed padstones, of course they don't :p lol

Something to do with bearing stress, IIRC?

As for the timber and charring rate, this is something like 0.75mm per minute, but I wonder if the SE has calculated this or would it have been just a case of past experience that this section will do?

Even so, I would expect there to be some requirement for special detailing where the plasterboard ceiling meets the timber beam to prevent fire ingress into the floor void. Some intumescent seal or rockwool in the floor or something

I'd still be wary of such a timber section retrospectively fitted, in terms of shrinkage alone.

Almost correct Woodster! If it's normal softwood, charring rate is 20/face/half hour (15/face/half hour for hardwood), so the beam reduced section is 50x275, but allowable stress is factored up by 2 and bending reduces to L/30, so, unless you start off with 50 wide timbers, it's not normally an issue. You are supposed to take into account the burnt arisses, but the timber is normally so well in, I never bother working out the section properties net of them (or, as the kids say, ceebs :))

Would you *really* bother about an intumescent strip??

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice given. The job is complete and it went really well without any dramas. I have one final question thou :)

How long to I need to leave the bearing to dry before I remove the acro props? It has already hardened but I don't want to remove the props too prematurely and upset things.

568429291beae6bff911a8ea1c9eeabc3324e309887937c303f1c306f648a2ff9dc6eec1.jpg

4810563056d99e091978eecafb396a7a76d14470050864ff4d080cde51697f5f91f74d3a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why is that not a piece of steel - would have been shallower.

In answer to your q, 24 hours.

Wood looks much nicer :D

It looks large in the pic, however I can walk under it with plenty of room to spare and I am 5' 11.

Going back to the fire issue and the covering of the beam. When I rang the BCO to enquire about it prior to putting it up he said that as I had put in full planning application and my plans had been approved then if the plan didn't detail covering of the beam then it isn't required else they wouldn't have been approved so good news and lots of wood on show :)

True, it does look nicer - not sure about how it looks relating to your house though, but if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters!

The BCO is not correct, as if calculation for the charring rate proved its adequacy, it wouldn't need protection of any description and they couldn't not approve; and, as I said above, a chunk that size is unlikely to fail under fire calculations in a domestic situation.

Shytalkz you are correct about fireproofing. The BCO came and inspected the beam today and was more than happy with the fitting etc however he asked me what I intended to do reference covering. I told him I would like to leave it exposed so he is going to do the necessary calculations to see if that is possible, if not then it looks like intumescent paint will be the order of the day.

I don't know who it was who I spoke to on the phone when I enquired about this but obviously was given duff info.

Probably bcsurveyor ;)

Albi-clear is the stuff to use, but I can't see that the charring calcs won't prove it's ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back