PIR defect code opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the general consensus on a PIR code for a consumer unit with the

bottom edge of the busbar unshrouded (old MEM).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Good one that. Is the cover held on with SCREWS rather than those plastic twist lock things??

If screws then i would have said code 2 otherwise code 1

If it's within the consumer unit no code - it's no worse than the average bus bar chamber.

Don't forget, you're supposed to isolate via the mains switch before removing the cover. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi chaps, I just consider what could feasably happen.

If it is the twist locks a child could feasably get these open and fingers in.

Also you know what DIYers are like alittle knowledge and zap they get a belt.

Now admittedly going into a CU without isolating quite honestly deserves a good whack but the more protection the better.

If the people using the CU were instructed and trained then I would go for 3 but householders aren't so a 2 from me at least.

Sorry am I a little OTT when it comes to this, busbar shroud pence to buy benefit is instant.

This is the problem with codes, very little guidance and open to interpretation.

NICEIC day last wed, pointed out the same problem, thou some bstards really spin it to create works

FROM ESC document best practise guide

Code 2

"This code is to be used to indicate that the observed deficiency requires action to remove potential danger.

The person ordering the report should be advised that, whilst the safety of those using the installation may not be at immediated risk, remedial action should be taken as soon as possible to improve the safety of the installation"

I would say busbar shroud here

If the people using the CU were instructed and trained then I would go for 3 but householders aren't so a 2 from me at least.
A code 3 is "requires further inverstigation" so in this instance you can't use that.

Sorry am I a little OTT when it comes to this, busbar shroud pence to buy benefit is instant.
It not a case of being over the top it's just wrong to code it. You're inspecting to BS-7671 2008 so what reg number would you quote?

This is the problem with codes, very little guidance and open to interpretation.
The codes have worked for years and I don't see a problem. The only problem is when inspectors make up their own regs and try to code them.

So what would you code for an old Wylex rewirable which never had a bus-bar cover in the first place?

Code 4 at a push if it is in an insulated enclosure as it isn't being used in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
It there are exposed live parts with the cover on then it will warrant a code 1.

I don't think this warrants a code on a PIR, but if it were possible to fit one, then I would - if only to protect the sparky working on a live board!

I would not code it.

Agreed although I would document it as an observation as I'm sure you would.

Oharaf, be careful about coding along the lines of the ECS document as a single code 2 could deem an installation as unsatisfactory. That would be ridiculous for a missing busbar inside a consumer unit where a tool is required to remove the cover.

Taken from the ECS PIR document:

"It would not be reasonable to indicate a satisfactory assessment if any observation in the report had been given a Code 1 or Code recommendation."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back