Does this meet building and corgi regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my existing gas boiler with a new condensing one and want to know if my understanding of the building and corgi regs are correct.

On the outside wall I have 1340mm between a window frame and the corner of the house.

My understanding is that the flue terminal needs to be at least 600mm from the house corner, 300mm from the window frame and at least 600mm away from a window that opens. (The window that opens is a further 580mm away from the edge of the window frame.)

It looks as if I have around 440mm in the middle to play with for siting the flue terminal.
Is my understanding correct

Thanks
PS I meet the other regs of 2100mm above the ground, 2500mm from other properties etc.

Sponsored Links
are you fitting an ariston combi.i think their MIs state those regs. check with other boiler manufacturures and see what their distances are.

I haven't picked a boiler yet.

I thought that I had better check the current building regs because everytime BG services the boiler they say that the flue doesn't meet cuurent standards.

When you trawl the internet manufacturers give you their minimum distances but always tell you to refer to the current building regs.

I want to be sure of my options before I start looking for quotes so am hoping for some reassurance from a corgi guy.

Easiest way is to phone your local building control and get it from the horse's mouth.

Sponsored Links
Don't know where you got your info from, but the figures you are quoting are for balanced flue boilers, not the modern fan flued condensing boilers.

You need 300mm from any opening in the fabric of the building and from any internal or external corner.

As said above specific MI's may let you fit the flue in different positions.

you are putting the cart before the horse; find a good installer and put your trust in him. you will spend an awful long time to figure out things that are either irrelevant or simply not open to choice and make similar mistakes as you have already done. even if you work it all out eventually, you still don't know which boilers to avoid as they look good on paper, but are junk in real life. you are likely to get an ideal situation this way.

Don't know where you got your info from, but the figures you are quoting are for balanced flue boilers, not the modern fan flued condensing boilers.

You need 300mm from any opening in the fabric of the building and from any internal or external corner.

As said above specific MI's may let you fit the flue in different positions.

I thought it was 150mm from an opening in the fabric of the building & 300mm from an opening window or door.

Thanks keego, I double checked and you are correct.

As I'm not a plumber I used the worst case scenario (from the building regs 2008 section J P44) which was for balanced flue.
My current boiler must be a balanced flue as BG keep saying it's not to current standard as the distance from the wall to the flue is only 580mm.

It looks like I'll be OK then to put a new boiler where the existing one is. The guy down the street moved his boiler upstairs after BG had visited him. 3 guys 3 days to do.

Don't believe anything BG tell u. They tried to shaft my aunt £600 for a powerflush that didnt need doing.Told her all rads were sludged up.

Took me 2 hrs to take off 5 rads and flush out in garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back