Building a wall using 6 inch or 9 inch hollow blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a timber framed barn which is 8m x 6m. I intend to line the barn with hollow blocks, and then convert to a workshop, but i am unsure whether I should use 6 " or 9" hollow blocks. I am also unsure how high I can go. Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
structurally, you can go as high as you like as long as they are adequately tied in.

practically it pays to lay about 5 courses at any given time then move around the building giving the newly laid masonry time to go off.

either block will be ok. obviously the thicker the better, your pocket your choice.

Thanks noseall for your comments, however, the one problem I have is the tying in bit. The structural woodwork is space a long way apart, for example, there is a vertical piece of timber at each corner which is 6" square and another 6" square vertical pillar mid way along the length and breadth, these are joined by horizontal 3"x 6" beams spaced from the bottom at 2', 6' and 12'. The barn is sound. Will tying into these beams do?
Thanks

are you filling in between the timbers or creating an internal cell?

are you going to install a floor or a mezzanine?

Sponsored Links
Hi noseall, I intend to build a cell within the existing frame. I'm going to use 6" hollow blocks and start laying the blocks straight on the existing concrete floor which is about 5-6" thick. The front of the workshop will be 12 courses high and the other 3 sides will be 6 courses high, later I will finish the walls to the same height ( money dependant). The first 4 courses I was going to fill with concrete for strength.

building straight off the edge of the slab, at 12 courses high, of solid concrete or filled concrete blocks is asking for trouble.

When you put it like that you're absolutely right, I think I was getting a bit to enthusiastic in trying to make the workshop super strong. If i keep the front of the workshop in 6" hollow but only go 10 courses high but the 3 remaining sides use breeze blocks and go 5 high. I will also underpin the edges of the slab if necessary?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back