French door question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all.

I am installing external french doors in place of a double glazed window.

My question is this, i have seen at a reasonable price a set of french doors six foot wide, the gap i have is six foot three, is it common to slightly pad out either side between wall and door frame ?

Any advice would be ace thanks very much in advance.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
it is possible to add knock-on pieces to the head or sides of upvc frames. these usually max-out at 25mm per side. stability may be compromised otherwise.

the knock-on pieces have to be manufacturer compatible too.

seems like you may have to either alter the masonry or buy the correct size. :rolleyes:

I your property is rendered or pebbledashed externally it would make it easier to alter the opening - if you have brickwork externally i would buy a set of doors the correct size.
Internally you would need to build up the reveals with plasterboard or bonding.

cheers for that looks like i will be getting a door made to measure. I will start shopping around tomorrow when the crooks open. Screwfix have a 6foot french door for less than 500 squid, never mind i am sure in the current financial climate i can get a good deal on one made to measure.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Be aware that what your doing is notifyable work unless you use a FENSA (or similar) company to install! No compliance certificate could give you future problems.

i'll quote you for a nice set in pitch pine if you want, click on my name to view my profile and see my website for brief details.

the link doesn't work by the way, you'll have to copy and paste the website address.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back