Are Aldi Powercraft any good?

Sponsored Links
Usually buy blue bosch. but for some jobs I can't justify the cost - how much will I use it etc..

I have a 5 year old Aldi sliding compound mitre saw it is excellent

I have ALDI planer , Belt sander and cordless drill, all several years old and still going.

Sponsored Links
Forget it. If it lasts the 12 month warranty here in Australia it is all bad news because if it breaks down 2 weeks after that 12 month period you cannot get replacement parts. What good is it to buy a tool (24 Volt hammer drill) that you only use on the odd occassion only to find out that if a problem arises you just Bin it. What a cheek Aldi why don't you put in your trading policy this type of info. I am off to a reputable tool shop where I know that spare parts are available years after I purchase my reputable brand drill. :evil:

Buy cheap - Buy twice is often but NOT always the case. I have a Power craft planer, router and biscuit jointer and have been thrilled with all three! In fact, I borrowed my Dad's bosch planner before I bought my own and would be inclined to say the power craft model is actually the better of the two.

For those who have commented re: food products I often shop in Aldi simply because many of their food products are far far nicer than Sainsbury's/Tesco equivalents and the cost saving is simply a bonus!

If you didn't like their ready meals learn to cook proper food!

Just came across the comments on Aldi power tools - what a lot of snobs some of you are.

I have just finished building a 2 storey part underground double garage and loft built courtesy of 5 years of Aldi tools. I can't fault them. 3 year guarantee on them must mean they are confident on their quality. I also borrowed an unused but out of guarantee (£80) 4" Hitachi angle grinder (failed after 3 months) and a £250 SDS hammer drill (failed after 6 months use). I had to revert to my Aldi units (£7 & £25) and they are still going strong. Hitachi told me the angle grinder was not worth repairing and that the SDS drill was a 'starter' unit and quoted £100 to repair it.

Also, some of the 10" angle grinders are made by Wolf.

I can buy a lot of Aldi for the advertising costs of the Bosches of this world and I wouldn't be surprised if they ware all made in the same China factory.

I love quality but who is the mug £25 or £250?

I have a few of their air tools and they are fine and well up to the job and i have an angle grinder that is about 3 years old and gets used and abused all the time weekends and during the week (i own a land rover defender so if you know them you know how much it gets used ).Lots of the stuff is made in Germany

Check to see how much an extended 3 year warranty is on a B&D drill or a Dewalt drill.

Then look at the Aldi and Lidl tools....you are basically paying the money for the warranty, the tools are free...lol

I had two cordless drills from Lidl, I used them to renovate my home.

After two and a half years the batteries started to fail and would only hold a charge for half hour.

I contacted the services, forwarded my receipt and because they change drill styles annually and no spare batteries were available I was sent two new drill kits complete with a new warranty.

If you can beat that for service then go and buy elsewhere.

Aldi here again. 18v cordless drill £ 19.99. reciprocating saw £ 19.99. 28th October. Have had saw ( £ 9.00 not in box) over a year for cutting galv pipe out, still OK. Used last week to cut out yards of 1 inch galv pipes.

my crazy mum bought me a shady jigsaw years ago from aldi and having spent ££££££s on all my tools for work i pxxsed my self when i saw it threw it in the shady tools bucket and forgot about it until my bosch one died on me half way through cutting out a worktop shot home grabbed it and had a bash with it and i gotta say it was pretty good but i did use bosch blades in it anyway although all my work tools are mainly makita there will always be a space in my van for my crappy aldi jigsaw.also i d just like to add that its normally the crappy blades/drill bits you get with the tools that let them down and if you swap them for good ones the performance is nt much different to a branded tool but they usually have more basic functions

I have bought many power tools from Aldi and they all worl OK
You have bear in mind they are OK for DIY jobs Used every few weeks not every day for professional jobs
Also many tools will last a long time and givwe good service if you donot abuse them, clean and oil them
Good DIY : :D

It's as lots of you say (horses for courses) Power Craft tools are fine as long as there not overworked & abused to much. That goes to say I bought a Power Craft Circular Sawbench in 2003 & it's still going strong today 2016. Need to upgrade as soon as they have one but need one with more cutting depth ie) 10" Blade Purchased SIP bench earlier this year used it 5 times then it packed in took it back & got my money back, will now wait for a Power Craft one to get here. (all tools used for general DIY) also have many other tools from Aldi & no problems with any.

On cheap tools, I think the warranty service is key. I often suggest Aldi or Titan to people about to start a DIY project, when the project is likely to finish before the warranty runs out.

I find Aldi are quite happy to give you a refund.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back