DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Whats the best way to cut right angles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
StaticPhilly

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote

hi,

basicly im having a nightmare cutting the pelmets for the kitchen (the beaning stuff for the top and bottom of the wall units)

I was just wondering what the best way is to cut the right angles, i have a miter block but the corners still seem to have gaps in them.

thanks,
Philly
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote

When you say 'pelmets' do you mean the trim at the top of kitchen units?

If so, I used an electric saw table, you can hire one, well worth it if you have a lot to do.
You would only need it for a day.
 Alert Moderators
Symptoms

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Philly - 'cos you seem to be doing this job by hand I'm afraid that with alot of these things it comes down to skill-level and tool quality. You say you're using a mitre box (block) so just check the amount of 'play' each side of your saw blade ... I bet it wobbles. This 'poor' fit, linked to the workpiece maybe moving slightly (not clamped firmly/correctly), will result in your type of gaps.

Most kitchen fitters will use a compound mitre saw (electric) to produce these very accurate cuts. So to answer your question, "the best way" ... it's one of these. You have to weigh-up the manky finish to your kitchen trim (it'll always bother you) against the cost of hiring the equipment even if it is only for a couple of cuts. You can buy cheapo compounds (30 upwards) but these often come with the wrong blade for your type of work and others here have noted poor angle stop/lock. Factor in the cost of a new blade, maybe 30+

You can buy manual compound mitre saws for under 20 which, with a bit of practice, do the job just about OK but never as good as the electric jobbies.
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote

A tenon saw and the piece placed firmly in a block, and the the saw pressed firmly against the side of the block when cutting, should give a straight cut.
 Alert Moderators
StaticPhilly

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote

thanks chaps,

yes the block was moving when i first tryed so i screwed it down, not as bad then.

i was thinking of a saw table (i can pick one up forabout 40) but my consern was that it might be to ruff and split the endges of the cut.

Diyisfun, yes i am onabout the trims.

thanks for your help, think i should get a saw table that dose 45 angles, feel like im cheating on my good old handsaws but never mind!
 Alert Moderators
kjacko

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote

I don't know if you're confusing a 'table' saw with a 'mitre' saw, but i'd definitely be getting a small mitre saw for that job.
Cutting angles on a cheap table saw is a headache you'll want to do without mate tbh.
 Alert Moderators
Bilioustrumpstaine

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote

Go get one of these icon_cool.gif

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK110MLS100_MLS100_MakitaMitreSaw.htm

Weigh up what future use you will get out of it.

B&Q have had this item in store for about the same money.

All the sheds will have cheapies but a lot don't have positive angle stops which means you can cut a slightly wrong angle if not careful.
 Alert Moderators
kjacko

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote

my 30 effort (max. cut of 115mm) from a diy store 5 years ago is still put to good use for pelmets and architraves. Cuts cleaner than my 130 sliding one with 280mm cross cut.

fwiw.
 Alert Moderators
makitaman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote

A compound mitre saw would be the way forward, to really get a spot on mitre we also glue the mitre ends together with 'mitre glue', spray one end and glue the other hold together for about 10 seconds and job done.
 Alert Moderators
Bloggsyboy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote

Mitre chop saw is the way to go but if you have not used one before be very careful they are not as safe as handsaws. Make sure the workpiece is firmly held down and your hands and loose clothing well out of the way. Also watch out for slithers of offcut flying off at high speed and hitting you.
Good luck.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: