Whats the best way to cut right angles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

basicly im having a nightmare cutting the pelmets for the kitchen (the beaning stuff for the top and bottom of the wall units)

I was just wondering what the best way is to cut the right angles, i have a miter block but the corners still seem to have gaps in them.

thanks,
Philly

Sponsored Links
When you say 'pelmets' do you mean the trim at the top of kitchen units?

If so, I used an electric saw table, you can hire one, well worth it if you have a lot to do.
You would only need it for a day.

Philly - 'cos you seem to be doing this job by hand I'm afraid that with alot of these things it comes down to skill-level and tool quality. You say you're using a mitre box (block) so just check the amount of 'play' each side of your saw blade ... I bet it wobbles. This 'poor' fit, linked to the workpiece maybe moving slightly (not clamped firmly/correctly), will result in your type of gaps.

Most kitchen fitters will use a compound mitre saw (electric) to produce these very accurate cuts. So to answer your question, "the best way" ... it's one of these. You have to weigh-up the manky finish to your kitchen trim (it'll always bother you) against the cost of hiring the equipment even if it is only for a couple of cuts. You can buy cheapo compounds (£30 upwards) but these often come with the wrong blade for your type of work and others here have noted poor angle stop/lock. Factor in the cost of a new blade, maybe £30+

You can buy manual compound mitre saws for under £20 which, with a bit of practice, do the job just about OK but never as good as the electric jobbies.

A tenon saw and the piece placed firmly in a block, and the the saw pressed firmly against the side of the block when cutting, should give a straight cut.

Sponsored Links
thanks chaps,

yes the block was moving when i first tryed so i screwed it down, not as bad then.

i was thinking of a saw table (i can pick one up forabout £40) but my consern was that it might be to ruff and split the endges of the cut.

Diyisfun, yes i am onabout the trims.

thanks for your help, think i should get a saw table that dose 45 angles, feel like im cheating on my good old handsaws but never mind!

I don't know if you're confusing a 'table' saw with a 'mitre' saw, but i'd definitely be getting a small mitre saw for that job.
Cutting angles on a cheap table saw is a headache you'll want to do without mate tbh.

my £30 effort (max. cut of 115mm) from a diy store 5 years ago is still put to good use for pelmets and architraves. Cuts cleaner than my £130 sliding one with 280mm cross cut.

fwiw.

A compound mitre saw would be the way forward, to really get a spot on mitre we also glue the mitre ends together with 'mitre glue', spray one end and glue the other hold together for about 10 seconds and job done.

Mitre chop saw is the way to go but if you have not used one before be very careful they are not as safe as handsaws. Make sure the workpiece is firmly held down and your hands and loose clothing well out of the way. Also watch out for slithers of offcut flying off at high speed and hitting you.
Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back