Boiler Flame making loud roaring noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 'behind the gas fire' central heating boiler and tonight it started to make a very fierce roaring noise.

It appeared not to want to switch off after moving the time to the off position.

I have to turn the stat under the fire right down to make it stop.

Any idears anyone?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your turning off your programmer/timeclock and your boiler still works i would say you probably have a problem with a micro switch in one of your motorised valves not the boiler.

If your turning off your programmer/timeclock and your boiler still works i would say you probably have a problem with a micro switch in one of your motorised valves not the boiler.

Could be... its not a combi boiler and the CH water is used to heat an old fashioned copper hot water boiler upstairs. So will it have micro switch / motorised valves?

It sounds like too much gas is burning

Eh ignore waterworks it sounds like your gas valve is passing and the boiler has back lit onto the injector. turn it off at main tap and get someone out tomorrow it could be very dangerous ,boiler could possibly be sooted up as well

Sponsored Links
You should have either one motorised valve with three pipes going into it or two valves which have two connections, plastic/metal box looking item on pipework probably near cylinder.

It appeared not to want to switch off after moving the time to the off position.

Namsag i was reading what op posted was you, could be lots of problems but i was replying to what was posted.

Speaking from experience this noise is not caused by a sticking motorised valve,
It is definetly a potentialy dangerous situation needs turning off and a pro out asap

Speaking from experience this noise is not caused by a sticking motorised valve,
It is definetly a potentialy dangerous situation needs turning off and a pro out asap

You should have either one motorised valve with three pipes going into it or two valves which have two connections, plastic/metal box looking item on pipework probably near cylinder.

I've just arrange for a corgi guy to come out tomorrow. thanks for your advice guys

OP I would have to say you may not even have motorised valves. As already pointed out by namsag, gas is flaming within the burner. It is possible boiler service is well overdue. It would be prudent to get it looked at or serviced asap.

Burner would not making roaring noises. It would burner normally.

it sounds like your gas valve is passing and the boiler has back lit onto the injector.

What has that got to do with electrical supply? OP said it won't turn off after turning off timer, it may well be doing what you suggest as well but that's not to say it hasn't anything to do with sticking MV.

Explain what you think the roaring noise is then, even if the motorised valve is sticking there is a worse fault on this boiler that needs looking at asap

Roaring noise is the way the OP has described what the boiler is doing when it won't switch off after timer has been turned off, I agree with you that if it is indeed roaring your right, but it might be burning normal but continuasly and describing it as roaring might not be what it's doing, i also agree that it is wise to isolate it and get it checked, but even if it turns out your right, it still would shut down when timer/programmer is off don't you agree.

Roaring noise is the way the OP has described what the boiler is doing when it won't switch off after timer has been turned off, I agree with you that if it is indeed roaring your right, but it might be burning normal but continuasly and describing it as roaring might not be what it's doing, i also agree that it is wise to isolate it and get it checked, but even if it turns out your right, it still would shut down when timer/programmer is off don't you agree.

Just to point out I'm an engineer, although not a gas engineer lol, and I know what the boiler sounds like when its running normally. Its roaring enough to scare my children.

Fair enough now OP has come back and explained, but the original post that i replied to was about why it didn't switch off with timer which now probably is not the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back