Replacing a loft tank ball cock - it's leaking!! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a complete plumbing newbie (some would say numpty). I've recently replaced a ballcock mechanism in my loft cold water tank. All went well until I had to remove it to bend the arm (to lower the ballcock and water level) and then replace it. Basically it seems that I've somehow loosened the valve that connects the ballcock to the water pipe (back nut?) and now have a very slight drip. I don't know where the stop valve is for the water pipe so can't take it all to bits to fix it/make even more of a mess.

Can anyone advise how I can tighten up a back nut - is there anything in particular I should know? Or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan

Sponsored Links
i would locate the stop cock if possible as it is very handy to know where it is in an emergancy!
you could try tightening the checkvalve however over tightening could make it worse if you can turn the water off and loosen it off then wrap 2 turns of p.t.f.e. tape (pennies to buy) around the thread then tighten it up again problem solved

thanks badgerchief, much appreciated.

Can you tell me what the checkvalve is?

as badgerchief says, in its entirity.

Only thing I'd add is that you need 2 spanners - one to grip the body of the isolator valve and the other to turn the nut. Don't try to turn it too much - just tweaking it (probably less than a quarter turn) sufficient to do the job.

Sponsored Links
Just had a closer look at your photo - push the connector (called the check or isolator valve) back into position before you tighten it - maybe up to 3/4 a turn since it looks as though the olive may have slipped.

cheers swidders.

I think I've pulled the checkvalve away from the feed pipe as I've been trying fit it to the new ballcock. I'll release the water flow to a steady trickle (found the water stop tap & the previous house owners have built a kitchen cupboard straight onto it, so can't turn it off without dismantling a cupboard) then loosen the backnut until I can slide it back onto the pipe & then retighten the nut.

Thanks for your helps chaps.

Very wise - trying to fiddle with it with water mains on is likely to make it come off with water to follow, with you in loft at fruthest point from stopcock which you can't get to.

When you turn the water off tomorrow, run the kithcen sink tap to drain as much out of the pipes as possible (unless you do, there will still be pressurised water at the connector).

Good luck

As said above,

Isolate where possible and reseat the check valve to where it should be. You may want to put a little jointing compound around that joint as you may have scored the pipe. When that joint is sorted then you wil need to connect it to the ball valve, but from what i have noticed you have plastered it with ptfe!! There is no need for this.

Check the face of the check valve to make sure all is clean and no remains of the old one are present and all you will need is a 1/2" fibre washer to place on this and then connect to the ball valve. Do not overtighten, just enough to "nip" it.

:D The second pic tickled me with the little sad face :cry: :cry:

Just had a closer look at your photo - push the connector (called the check or isolator valve) back into position before you tighten it - maybe up to 3/4 a turn since it looks as though the olive may have slipped.

well spotted :rolleyes: eagle eye on closer inspection i agree!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back