Worcester 24cdi boiler broken down this eve of all times!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler fires up for heating or hot water and then after about 30-60secs you can see the gas go out - the indicator stays on light stays on. There is also a strange clunking noise. I have also just notice there was some steam coming out of the auto air vent (wife just put the hw tap on !!!)

A few days a go the water supply was unexpectedly cut off and the heating was on but no water circulating.

Think this is a job for the experts but the weather forcast it'll probably be a day or 2 before someone can come and look at it. Any ideas what is wrong ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
pump is warm to touch- must have been really hot as last tested it bout half hr ago-don't want to try again

if it is pump is it an expensive job -perfectly happy to cut bits of wood and stuff but am complete novice at this type of stuff ... I am also in the dog house as the wife thinks i should no how to fix it :rolleyes:

Thanks

the pumps are pretty simple to change. isolate the power, just drain the system via the pressure relief valve if u wanna do it quickly. then use an allen key undo the four screws then remove the pump head dissconnect the 3 wires new pump head in reverse order pressurise the system n vent n check for leaks power bk on test job done

If the system has cr*p in it, it may not be a good idea to drain via the PRV, as it might not seal again properly. If it's the same as the 26cdi there will be two plastic drain cocks on the bottom of the boiler.

If you're feeling brave you could just isolate the boiler, but the valves might leak when it's all back together. If you can drain the whole system it's best to do so.

Don't forget to add inhibitor when you refill.

I don't know for sure whether a Grundfos 15-50 head would fit, I suspect it might though - maybe someone else knows?

Thanks for the advice - looking at the way the snow has come down in the last hr i may have a bit of time on me hands :LOL: - like i said i am a complete novice with this type of stuff but might give it a go - whats the worst damage i can do !

Do not use PRV. Do not touch valves. If you think pump is faulty, remove vent screw and check impeller is rotating, have a small bowl handy when you do this under the pump. Then watch in horror when the o ring splits when you refit the vent screw and over-tighten. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back