Planning query - neighbour removed access to drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm not 100% sure that this is in the right section, but it seems like the nearest for my query.

I live in a traditional row of terraced houses, and at the rear of the back yard is a row of terraced outbuildings (back to back with the outbuildings at the rear of the houses on the next street along).

Before I bought my house my neighbour had removed his outbuilding to build an extension onto the back of his house. Originally one section of guttering went across the front of both outbuildings and emptied into a gully on his property, however, when he removed his outbuilding he cut off the guttering, so that where my outbuilding ended, the guttering projects about a foot over his yard and empties straight onto the floor.

This has never been a problem to me, but his house is now up for sale, and I wonder if a new buyer could legally force me to undertake the expensive task of putting in a new gully on my property for the guttering to empty into - I doubt many people would like to have their neighbours guttering emptying straight onto their patio.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you are obligated to drain all your rainwater on your own land.

your rainwater your problem.

Might be worth posting this question on the Gardenlaw forum. Im sure similar questions have been asked on there, someone will tell you legally, where you stand.

Depending upon how long that drain had previously been there you may well have obtained the right to drain your rainwater via his downspout.

When it was removed he should have done something about it.
Perhaps asking him to finish off his build where it has affected you may be in order, especially as they will not want any disputes being recorded whilke they are trying to sell.

And yes, Gardenlaw.co.uk is the place to go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back