making my garage a kids den?? regs and permission.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an external garage it already has power ect i just want to lay a carpet put a sofa and a TV in there for the kids to use.

1 do i need planning permission
2 do i need to follow regs or can i just do it

regards
jay

Sponsored Links
so just to make a kids den i would need to insalate the floor and build extra brick skin to insulatethe walls as per new regs :eek: :eek:

seems a bit extream

change of use only applies when altering usage from domestic to business usage. this is interpreted as a material change of usage.

e.g. if you wish to change the garage into a spray shop. this would then be a commercial venture and require planning permission.

you can park your caravan, but you can not be a caravan park.

get me drift. ;) :LOL:

you still need to make the garage comfortable for the sprogs though.

Sponsored Links
change of use only applies when altering usage from domestic to business usage. this is interpreted as a material change of usage.

e.g. if you wish to change the garage into a spray shop. this would then be a commercial venture and require planning permission.

you can park your caravan, but you can not be a caravan park.

get me drift. ;) :LOL:

you still need to make the garage comfortable for the sprogs though.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
are you sure a couple of years back i helped convert a mate`s garage into a kitchen breakfast room and he definatly had to apply for change of use?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

building reg's will apply if the garage is to become heated dwelling.

planning will apply if the garage is to become a commercial premises or a separate dwelling in itself, i.e. a separate address.

probably.:cool:

jp - I reckon that you'll be just storing that old sofa, carpet and telly in there so there's no need for approvals. If the kids discover this storage area and decide to make, what we in the old days called a camp, then 'that's what kids do'. Warning - don't make it too comfortable as you'll never see them in the house ... on second thoughts :LOL:

On a serious note, how do you know what they'll be getting-up to - smoking dope, surfing the filthy parts of the throb-net, sha*ging. Consider installing CCTV (you can get wirelass tackle).

There is no change of use.

All domestic property is in the same 'use class' in terms of planning legislation, so whatever the rooms are used for, or converted to, they still remain domestic use.

The only planning consideration would be if there was a condition on the original planning approval which requires a garage to remain as a garage

If the garage is going to be used as a room, then it will require a building regulation application

i dont think you can class putting carpet in a garage as a habitable room!

i dont think you need to worry if thats all you are doing, if you are really concerned give the council a ring, but i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Thermo wrote: "... but i wouldnt lose any sleep over it." What, even if they were " ... smoking dope, surfing the filthy parts of the throb-net, sha*ging" in there"? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back