Damp corner in room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1960s bungalow. It has brick outer and inner walls, plaster rendered inside.

In an one corner area of the bedroom, where 2 outside walls join it tends to turn slightly mouldy along the skirting board and wall. The heads of the nails holding the shirting board have tuned rusty and are wet! There are no other sign of wettness.

I am convinced that it is 'striking cold' in an area of the room where the air doesn't move much. Additionally I believe that the damp course in this area may have been damaged due to there being a horizontal 1mm crack along the outer course of bricks (10th row up) running along about 8 foot. This crack has been there at least 20yrs and has not widened.

My question is! Would drilling a series of 5mm holes to the cavity wall and pumping in expanded foam help to solve the matter?

Sponsored Links
My question is! Would drilling a series of 5mm holes to the cavity wall and pumping in expanded foam help to solve the matter?

No.

Chances are you cavity is blocked. Remove some bricks on the corner at ground level and inspect for debris bridging cavity. Your crack also sounds like wall tie failure but without at least a picture it's hard to say. Are there any other cracks around the building of any size?

Thanks for the tips.

No other cracks seen! All the rooms seem to suffer from some light blacking of the wall paper at outside corners.

I will awaiting warmer weather before investigating further.

Regards
Alan

Sponsored Links
I had something similar .Again bungalow,extension at front which was my daughters bedroom .Damp patch in corner ,mouldy niff in there .Found it to be a leaky flat roof ,that was leaking at the edge and dropping water into the cavity .
Replaced the roof which was rotten as hell and looked as though it could have fallen in anytime soon.
Problem solved now.
Good Luck getting yours sorted .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back