Why has my toilet started making farting noises after being

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently my downstairs and sometime upstairs toilet makes a load farting noise after being flushed!! Appears to be the inlet pipe shuddering. Have a 5 year old 6L bottom entry cistern with normal flush and ball fix shut of thing.

Any idea's ?

Sponsored Links
maye its creating a vaccumn after being flushed in the tank, check to see if the overflow is blocked maybe?

Could it be the flexible diaphragm inside the flush mechanism thats getting old and less flexible? Not that it's easy to get to it to check....

Sponsored Links
Seems odd if it happens on both toilets. Does it sound like it's coming from the pipework or the cistern?
Are the isolating ball valves fully open?
Could it be water hammer? (Are pipes secure?)
I assume the cisterns are mains fed (ie not from the F+E tank in the loft?).
Could the ball cock be rubbing on something?
Sometimes the ballcock can get "jerky" - check the split pin for wear.
Does the farting noise diminish slowly as the cistern fills, or stop suddenly at some point?
Is it really a farting noise (ie air) or just a vibration in something?
How about uploading a sound file so we can all have a listen?!!
Perhaps this post should be in the plumbing forum.

Just recently my downstairs and sometime upstairs toilet makes a load farting noise after being flushed!! Appears to be the inlet pipe shuddering. Have a 5 year old 6L bottom entry cistern with normal flush and ball fix shut of thing.

Any idea's ?

mains or tank fed ??

Any idea's ?

Sounds like the inlet valves - (rubber diaphrams).

Isolate supply and service the fitting, or replace if can't get parts (not expensive)

mains or tank fed ??

tank fed toilet? never came across one of them, how do they work? must take an age to fill if gravity fed by a tank. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back