Water coming out continously from toilet overflow pipe

RJH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.

Woke this morning to water continiously coming out from upstairs toliet overflow pipe.

I am presuming this is because the ballcock is not shutting off when it reaches a preset limit ?

I'm not great with DIY but will have a go - is there a quick fix on this (i.e a new washer) or more like a new float valve etc ?

Many thanks

RJH

Sponsored Links
yep sounds like ball valve is letting by. if the ball is the type with the long arm and float on the end of it you can isolate the water supply to the valve unscrew the knurled section that holds the armto the upstanding part of the valve and remove the rubber diaphragm and just replace this.

sruggling I'm afraid - there appears to be two plastic screws at the top of the standing arm (and a funny plastic bit covering a small hole).

I started to unscrew it and the cistern noise became very loud and water started to rush out so I stopped and screwed it back on.

There is a small metal screw holding connecting the ballcock plastic arm to the standing bit - is this it ?

I did say isolate water supply to the valve!! its hard to tell you what to do without seeing it. but if its the one i think your on about you unscrew the plastic knurled part from upstanding part exposing the diaphragm.

Sponsored Links
Yep - isolated water supply (slightly embarrased).

Taken the plastic screw off and looks like the washer inside has gone. Do you think its a simple case of popping to the plum centre nearby and getting a new washer ?

Thanks

Many thanks - you helped a DIY numpty !

Just need to mop up the water from the bathroom floor now (lucky my wife is out for the day.....)

Just to let you know it takes two parts to make a seal.
I replaced a washer last week, thinking well thats that done, but when reassembled it was just as bad. Dismantled again and found the plastic 'nozzle' had split. Also recall friends 'nozzle' had very slight groove which was letting water pass. So its not always just the rubber washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back