Help !!! low water pressure light on, no CH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve got a Potterton puma 80 and the low pressure light is on. How do I go about sorting this out. I have tried to up the pressure with the refill value at the bottom of the boiler but this hasn\\\'t worked. I\\\'ve tried bleeding the rads upstairs but this has failed to. Its getting very cold in my house !!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
pjfr2004 said:
I\\\'ve got a Potterton puma 80 and the low pressure light is on. How do I go about sorting this out. I have tried to up the pressure with the refill value at the bottom of the boiler but this hasn\\\'t worked. I\\\'ve tried bleeding the rads upstairs but this has failed to. Its getting very cold in my house !!!!!!!

Common fault on potterton puma/combi 80, the problem is the actual low water pressure switch, this is located behind the printed circuit board screwed into the diverter valve.
The easiest instant cure is to remove one of the 2 wires going to the switch.
the long term cure is to drain the system remove and clean/replace

hope that is of help to you

jon

"The easiest instant cure is to remove one of the 2 wires going to the switch. "
That could leave a dangly live end.
Better to unplug the switch leads' plug from the pcb. A twin one, lower left of the board. But don't leave it like that; a new switch isn't expensive.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
"The easiest instant cure is to remove one of the 2 wires going to the switch. "
That could leave a dangly live end.
Better to unplug the switch leads' plug from the pcb. A twin one, lower left of the board. But don't leave it like that; a new switch isn't expensive.

obviously you wouldnt leave a "dangly live end"!! you would use electrical insulation tape and tape it up, the wire is in a insulated spade connection anyway and unlikely to cause a problem.
Firstly Remember this is only a temporary measure to get heating tonight.
And secondly i would not reccomend an untrained person to start fidlling woth p.c.b`s
the low pressure switch is very cheap and i reccomend you get a heating enginner to sort the problem

[/quote]Firstly Remember this is only a temporary measure to get heating tonight.[/quote]

Thanks gasman - this has got me out of a sticky situation tonight and saved an expensive out of hours call-out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back