Storage Heater not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sons storage heater in his bathroom has stopped working. Power IS getting to the storage heater as its been tested. Any idea if this is a big problem and the storage heater would have to be replaced..or something minor that an electrician could fix? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
With the ones I used you could replace the element if you can get them. I think the ones we had used three elements. Also how old. Some old ones have asbestos in between bricks and casing. I had a right job removing one intact as because of asbestos we could not remove the bricks.

:eek: re asbestos!

This isn't as old as the ones he has replaced. I'll see if I can contact him for the name of it..or better still get a photo of it that I can post on here.

Many thanks for your prompt reply! ;)

Sponsored Links
:confused: no - don't think so - whenever I call in they're in a pile on the floor underneath the sink! :rolleyes: Is there a 'cut off' switch then that could happen if the vents are covered?

There is usually a thermal cutout inside the heater which operates if it gets too hot. Dimplex ones for example are usually a small brown disk with a white button in the middle, if tripped you just press the button till you hear it click and it has then reset.

:rolleyes: Just got back from his house...and taken some pics. The bathroom is a 'wet room'..and I refuse to scrub his floor any more :evil: so please excuse the state of it :LOL:

The rest have all been replaced with this type...

Further to what 123 says, some SH's have a thermal link: like a fusewire that melts if it gets too hot.

Is it possible to replace yourself..or would I need an electrician to do this?

There is usually a thermal cutout inside the heater which operates if it gets too hot. Dimplex ones for example are usually a small brown disk with a white button in the middle, if tripped you just press the button till you hear it click and it has then reset

I couldn't see a button to click like 123 suggested. Any idea where it may be?

;) Aha!!! So...should it be at the TOP then....? I could only make this out...just looked like a connector for innie/outtie wires!?

No, its a thermal cutout. The link I showed tells you how to reset it.

:oops: sorry..you're talking to a complete electrical nerd here!

I looked at page 4 and the diagram on how to reset....but can't seem to 'see' anything that looks like that on the storage heater! Would it be, once the cover is taken off...on the top or bottom?

With the cover off, on the top of the heater, there is that bent piece of metal with a warning notice on it. Unscrew it and remove (after heeding its advice). It is there because it is shielding live terminals. Without it, small children could poke coathangers into the heater and die.

Anyway, under this cover, is the thermal cutout (I can see its two wires under the cover)

On the right hand side of the little device should be a button that you need to press down in order to operate the heater. Clearly you wont notice if it has worked straight away since it charges overnight, but it should push in and stay in. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back