Why do doors open into rooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking over the plans for my house, and I come to realise that doors are a considerable pain in the arse. The hallway is a large empty space that the kitchen door could open out into, whereas it fouls on 5 cupboard doors if it opens into the kitchen.. hence my wondering, why do they open inwards?

Sponsored Links
I think traditionally it is from a security point of view because if the hinges were on the outside of the room with an outward opening door you could knock out the hinge pin and your in. I know it is not relevant in the average house but for offices, schools, businesses etc it would be. Also it is easier if you have your arms full of boxes, washing, shopping or even the wife !! it is much easier to push the door open as you enter than struggle with your hands full trying to turn the handle and pull it outwards. There are bound to be more valid reasons but that's my thinking.

Good thinking on the security point.. Maybe I'll research doors that slide sideways into the walls, star trek style.. hmm

traditionaly its for privacy when you open a door into a room and against a wall you maintain maximum privacy as in no one else can see in and only the person at the door can see more than the wall ;)

think off master and servants as its a victorian idea ;)

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'll just leave all the doors in the garage, and only fit them when I come to sell.. Tradition is a nuisance

I agree with Big-all, it was traditionally for the privacy issue, so that you couldn't see into the room when entering.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing to stop you in having a door open to suit the way you live, obviously with the exception of fire doors or around stairs! We have just had work done and I have had doors changed so that they open towards a wall, makes much more sense in smaller rooms

traditionaly its for privacy when you open a door into a room and against a wall you maintain maximum privacy as in no one else can see in and only the person at the door can see more than the wall ;)

think off master and servants as its a victorian idea ;)
Also as I understand it &, as stated, there is nothing to stop you changing them around to suit your personal life style as long as there are no safety implications like opening the door on someone on the landing & knocking them rarse over tite down the stairs :LOL: ! I’ve changed most of my (60’s) doors here so they open against adjacent walls rather than into the room & one has been completely reversed.

Doors nearly always open inwards to rooms and away from common areas like hallways and landings because it is the safest and most convenient option. You don't want the risk of doors opening unexpectedly into the path of someone who may simply be passing, and you don't want the inconvenience of obstructing passage if you wish to leave a door open.

apparently doors that opened into the room (away from wall) was for asthetic reasons- being that you had to be completely in the room and saw the "beauty" of it all at once, rather than the door opening to the wall side and getting a sneaky peek into the room before it fully opened.
i need to go to bed and stop browsing this site......

as stated, the way a door opens will be orientated for practical reasons and modesty or privacy reasons.

a bedroom or bathroom door will open into the room and hinged so that it covers the room, and not necessarily onto an adjacent wall.

hallway or landing doors also open into their respective rooms. to do otherwise could mean a multitude of doors all opening into a confined space.

all the above said, you can hinge or hang it any way you please.

a fire escape door with panic bar always opens to the outside. :rolleyes: :LOL:

I have had doors changed so that they open towards a wall, makes much more sense in smaller rooms

then you have the issue of moving light switches. :confused:

I have had doors changed so that they open towards a wall, makes much more sense in smaller rooms

then you have the issue of moving light switches. :confused:

i had exactly that problem but I don't know what you'll think of this idea -
i fitted a dimmer switch with a press action for on/off (i don't use it as a dimmer).
then a small cupboard door knob screwed to the door so it hits the dimmer switch.

so you can switch the light on and off using the door. it works fine and is very "lazy" - you just bounce the door on the way in and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back