house with no foundation, damp, costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited an old stone built 1916 house from my late father, but house has no real foundation and has a lot of damp in some ground floor rooms, but not all of them. has concrete floors. an engineer friend says it just needs some excavation work outside to lower ground level in some areas. is this all it needs? has no dpc. if there is no real foundation is excavation safe? any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the house is just floating on the surface of the ground.

If there is no DPC or DPM, then lowering ground levels is not going to necessarily stop internal dampness.

You need to get it looked at from someone who has some idea about moisture ingress, and not with a JCB fetish ;)

Do not let someone reduce external ground levels below your none existent foundations.
Where is Shy tonight ??

Sponsored Links
.... unless there is a method of preventing lateral displacement of the subsoil.

Excavating can be done as long as its done properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back