Door frame template

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.. I bought some French doors on Ebay but they did not come with the frame. I'd like to keep things cheap so wondering how to make the frame. Does anyone know of a good site with info on making a sturdy frame that'll look good. Ie not just 4 bits of 3x2 nailed together in a rectangle!

Cheers,
Josh

Sponsored Links
give us a clue!
are they wood or upvc?
what size, thickness are the doors?
what is the opening size?
what is the detail where they meet in the middle?
are there seals on them?
hinges?

can't find a plan on the web, but if they are wood, normal practice is a mortice and tenon frame in rebated (notch cut in the corner of the wood to receive the door) wood. sill should be sloping and with an overhang to throw water. head (top) usually overhangs with a drip groove also to throw water.
you can but standard sections (in softwood) in a timber yard. i would recommend hardwood for the sill at least.

you will also need weatherseals, and you will need to plan ahead to leave the correct gap for them, and probably a groove (usuallly a saw kerf) to fit them into.

short cuts

you could screw it together with big pilot drilled screws, or with dowels. use water resistant glue.

either way the difficult bit is cutting the "shoulders", the ends of the verticals to match the profile of the horizontals.

there is an alternative, make a flat frame out of square timber (apart from the sill which should be sloping as stated above) and use a planted bead (small timber nailed on to stop the door) instead of a rebate. this is like an interior door frame. not generally used for exterior doors.

That's great! Thanks for all the detail.. They are wood doors, 3 double glazed panels in each door. I'll go check out my local timber yard and see what they have as standard. Thanks a lot for the info - I know what to look for now!

Cheers,
Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back