Leaking asphalt roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My brother-in-law has an ex local authority house that has recently developed signs of a leak in the roof. The roof is flat with a gulley running along the middle, from side to side. There is no outlet on his roof but i believe the neighbours each have one. The house is terraced and the roof has been repaired with a single(we think) layer of felt approx 10 years ago.

What are the options? Scrape off the old felt and re-felt? New felt over the top? or remove the old felt and re-asphalt?

Any suggestions?

Cheers. Nicksun.

Sponsored Links
I'll tell him to get a few quotes from local roofers and i'll post what their recommendations are.

Nicksun.

If the old felt overlay is tight, it will stand another one over the top. If its bubbling/lifting, its best to take it off.

to be honest as a felter it all really depends on what level of outlay and finish that he is after. you could just give the existing felt system a decent clean and prime then put another layer over the top or you could remove the felt but keep the asphalt and put a layer of felt over the asphalt or if you really want a really top pukka job then you need to remove it all and either have an asphalt roof put back on or a three layer felt system on top. to be honest i would get a few prices first then see what they all come out as. all depends on size aswell as to how much it should cost but if you want an experts opnion on the quotes when he has got them then just get in touch.

Sponsored Links
Check out the web sites of these two companies they offer various guarantees going from 10 - 15 - 25 years and after that time all that is required is a fresh top coat:- Liquid Plastics / Tor-Coat both use fibreglass matting - see website for details. I have used both systems on different jobs and can recommend both systems. 1 company I chose, and the other was a preferred contractor so I had no say, so the choice is yours.

Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back