Open/ Gas Fire Without Chimney???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 1987 breeze & brick built link detached house. The front room is missing a centre piece and can get a little chilly in winter..... Hence..... I would like to add a fire, I can build a stud and put a non-functioning fire & mantle in BUT being fussy I would like it to work. The wall behind it would be garage (not mine :( ) anything I could do...

Gas I understand would be easiest but I am not biased, whatever is possible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say electric would be the simplest and cheapest. There are some cracking looking electric suites around now days.

Hi MonkeysDIY
Sound advice from Mikric - electric is cheapest and easiest to install.

If you were to go gas, you need to have a flue extension to an outside wall to exhaust the gas fumes either by fan or balanced flue - this flue needs to be venting over your own land and meet CORGI requirements.
Also you may have an expensive gas supply run to be installed if not already present - this is on top of your own costs to construct a false chimney breast.
There are flueless gas fires however you will require a permanently open vent in the room, and they also condensate heavily - good if you like a
sauna !! :)

Best of luck
Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back