Light fitting has no Earth connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling light purchased in France and am wanting to install in the uk but it doesn't have an earth connection. I am fitting the light inplace of a ceiling rose but am unsure where to connect the earth when the rose is removed? All other connections are fine. I have searched for answers in the forum but the problems usually seem the other way round where there is no earth in the ceiling.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
if it has the double insulated symbol

then it is fine and you should just terminate the earths in a peice of chock block

if it doesn't have that symbol then its probbly dodgy and i wouldn't advise keeping it

The fitting is a wooden block (mdf) with 3 adjustable spots attached with standard metal arms. Bought in a French DIY store and is branded as Leroy Merlin.

Light fitting does have the double insulated symbol on so looking good on that front. Excuse my ignorance but what is chock block and where I can I get it?

Thanks for the quick replies too. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
TLCON15.jpg
choc bloc

"if it has the double insulated symbol then it is fine and you should just terminate the earths in a peice of chock block"

For a total novice - does that mean just put the earth (just one earth cable poking out of the ceiling) into anyone of the holes in the choc block and thats it? So I can leave the earth and choc block floating around in the base of the light fitting?

[Its a 2 way bathroom light that I want to connect a spotlight to]

Thanks for any help. Easy job, but don't want to kill myself or burn the house down.

Saw/ cut the chock block to give a piece with just 1 pair of connectors, and connect the earth wire up and place into the ceiling void/ top of light - I would also cover the earth wire with sleeving so there are no bare wires, and wrap the chock block (after wired) with plastic tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back