Creating a driveway

Sponsored Links
Ok if it helps this is what i think i am supposed to do:

Excavate (do i need to because the soil is full of old bricks and slate, do i need to just remove the lawn?)

Sub base - Type 1 MOT (How Much?)... Do I wacker plate the soil before i put this down??

Wacker Plate the Sub base.. Will these create a nice slope down from the pavement to the drive once compacted??

I would probably be using something like Cotswold Buff Gravel...How Much? Do I wacker plate this....

I am aware of the planning permission process now but seen as I am putting gravel down i take i will not need the permission....

I think first and foremost, Cress, is to decide how you are going to deal with that slope. Presumably you are talking both sides of the pathway?

If you gravel onto that slope the cars will push the gravel towards your house. Then you have to consider whether you will need drainage.

Are you thinking of building a retaining wall near the house so that the driveway is level?

It looks a little awkward access wise as you are on the junction. Will you need a drop kerb?

Once you have a level area then I would plan on what type of driveway you are going to have.

I think thats one of those jobs that is going to cost more than it looks like it should.

I would have thought any gravel, no matter what its on will roll towards the house, so that makes gravel a no no, unless its bonded gravel £££££

Get it block paved, with drains at the house end

Sponsored Links
I would also suggest some form of bollard just in case someone forgets the handbrake on the car & gravity does whats its best at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back