Putting up plasterboard in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wonder if I could just check that I am about to do the right thing.

Problem: Putting up plasterboard onto dense block in a bathroom.

1.) Coat the block in PVA glue and let it dry off

2.) Plaster on 8mm thick of Thistle bonding coat - Leave to dry

3.) Measure, re-measure and cut plasterboard

4.) Plaster onto the wall Thistle multi finish plaster - check levels

5.) Nail on the plaster board

6.) Get a professional in to skim it and paint :)

Any comments on this process?

Am I over complicating this and should just directly bond it to the wall 'dot&dab' instead?

Many thanks in advance - sorry for any ignorance displayed on the subject, I'm a plasterboard virgin.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are over complicating it & seem to have got 2 completely different processes intertwined. Your describing float & set plaster finish (base & finishing plaster) + Dot & Dab with a further skim &, your correct, you generally do one or the other not both!

You can’t nail the plasterboard to the walls :eek: ; it’s either nailed onto wooden battens screwed to the wall or stuck directly onto the block wall using drywall adhesive. If it’s a bathroom, you should use Moisture Resistant PB & either tank/waterproof the wet areas (behind bath or in a shower cubicle) or use a waterproof tile backer board or it won’t last. Will you will be tilling?

Sorry, but the only bit you seem to have got right is number 6, “get a pro in to skim & paint”; in all honesty you need to do a lot more research before you have ago at this & you may do better to get a pro in to do the lot. A good place to start might be to browse through the archive posts in the plastering forum, look at some plastering guides (Google it) & come back with specific questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back