small leaking flat roof to standard pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, This is an area of my property renovation that I have next to no knowledge on so answers to questions much appreciated.

I have a small flat roof (approx 6' square) above an entrance porch at the front of the property that has a small leak. All the other houses around me (council property) have had theirs converted to a standard tiled pitched roof.

I am awaiting a few quotes from roofers/builders to do this. Usually when I get a trades person to quote for a job I usually know what exactly to ask/discuss/options etc and roughly what price it should be in and around.

with this i have no idea!!!!.........

I think I will need building regs (not planning but I will check) but what should I be ensuring the person does to convert (few pertinent checking points would be welcome) and roughly what sort cost is involved.

is it just frame to the structure and tiles/flashing and bit guttering etc....or is there underlay/insulation etc involved....

ta very much

Sponsored Links
if it is a porch then b'regs will not apply. no need for insulation either as it is a porch.

you need to determine the style of roof first, i.e. look at the main building and try to echo what is going on there. mimicking the pitch and style will be more pleasing to the eye.

if you have an existing hipped roof then hip the porch. if you have a gable roof then gable the porch. the same applies to the roof tiles, copy the main roof, although plain tiles (if you don't already have them) can look more attractive on a small roof.

try not to make it look clunky. do not over steep the pitch.

a gable porch may need two gulleys and outlets so a hip may prove more economical. ;)

if it is a porch then b'regs will not apply. no need for insulation either as it is a porch.

you need to determine the style of roof first, i.e. look at the main building and try to echo what is going on there. mimicking the pitch and style will be more pleasing to the eye.

if you have an existing hipped roof then hip the porch. if you have a gable roof then gable the porch. the same applies to the roof tiles, copy the main roof, although plain tiles (if you don't already have them) can look more attractive on a small roof.

try not to make it look clunky. do not over steep the pitch.

a gable porch may need two gulleys and outlets so a hip may prove more economical. ;)

Thanks noseall, very helpful. any idea about price?.....i know it could vary widely depending on options.....even roughly or even per square metre. (its 6 foot by 6 foot). to mimick the house it would be a straight forward flat roof pitched at the back running down (if you know what i mean) so easy to do I would have thought. I have looked at the other houses and it does look clunky heavy large tiles and loads of lead flashing.....such a small area it just looks overkill.....

hopefully my roofer can come up with a less clunky build.....dont really want it to draw the eye for the wrong reason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back