Heating in detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a detached double garage at the bottom of our garden, and i was wanting to convert it into a home cinema, so it's going to need some form of heating for the colder months of the year.

Assuming i can get planning permissions (if needed?) and can get it conforming to building regs, etc etc, would it be better to have a seperate (mini?) boiler in the garage and rads, or just have a pipe running from the boiler in the house to the rads in the garage?

The garage is roughly 15 metres away from the house.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We have a detached double garage at the bottom of our garden, and i was wanting to convert it into a home cinema, so it's going to need some form of heating for the colder months of the year.

Assuming i can get planning permissions (if needed?) and can get it conforming to building regs, etc etc, would it be better to have a seperate (mini?) boiler in the garage and rads, or just have a pipe running from the boiler in the house to the rads in the garage?

The garage is roughly 15 metres away from the house.

Would have thought an electric heater would be more cost effective when compared with installation costs and heat loss of underground warm pipes or boiler/LPG or boiler/additional gas run, quite apart from the water supply to it.

Look into a Heatre Sadia

electric-boilers-info.jpg

Electric fan heaters on stepped thermostats will give warm up in only a few minutes.

There are usually few controls on what you can build for leisure purposes if more than a certain distance from the house or boundary.

I went to a party at a house in SW London where they had a 25 seater cinema/theatre with all the stage lighting and sound in the back garden.

Also another three bed semi just off the A40 in W London with a West Indian club in the back garden. Fully equiped with kitchen and toilets and full CH. It could hold about 100 at a pinch. I really cannot understand how they got away with that one and particularly with alcohol licencing etc.

To get to it they just walked through the side door and down the garden.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Look into air to air heat pumps. The use of green technology can also help smooth over planning concerns.

Agree with the last poster, a split air con unit with heat pump would be perfect, and can be used for cooling as well.

Wow...

£6000 of installation for something which the family are unlikely to use more than a very few times!

The reality as that wonderful as these ideas are, the average family prefer to put up with any disadvantages of the living room!

Tony

lots of insulation will save lots of money on heating.

So would lots of jumpers and a scarf ;)

Even more reason for the family to want to stay indoors!

Almost every house I visit has the evidence of "projects" which were paid for in a fit of enthusiasm and then abandoned.

Women went for the lateral thigh trainer which ended up in the cupboard under the stairs blocking access to the gas meter!

Then they went for that big plastic ball that I presume they sit on and then bounce up and down on ???

Men go for more expensive powered treadmills and some very complicated things that I cannot even fathom out!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back