Recommend a good metal shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone recommend a good shed company online perhaps? I have tried searching but unable to find the right size. The size i am looking for is about 6ft wide and 20ft long. Can be metal or wood i dont mind. Although metal with hinged doors would be preferred.

I've heard metal sheds can be better and dont need any maintenance, is this true? Are they strong enough not to be damaged by wind and rain?

thanks

Sponsored Links
metal sheds suffer from" internal rain" as there is no insulation qualities during the winter any moisture held in air duting the day condenses onto the roof and drips down

same with plastic

wood on the otherhand ;)

Yes i suppose the wood ones are better. I was also wondering if perhaps the metal ones make any noise when the wind is blowing.

Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have a wood shed built to the above dimensions? I am considering building it myself too but i am undecided at the moment. I need it to be 6ft x 20ft.

ok my shed cost around £1200 its simmilar square footage 12x 10ft= 120square ft as against 6x20 = 120square foot although your outer wall is approching 20% more so yours walls and cladding will cost 20% more but your roof and floor will be the same

rough breakdown footings £150 electrics pre part p £150 roof including 3 layer torch on felt £250 wood £500 the other £150 covers glass a door fixtures and fiting like locks catches hinges and insulation

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the pics showing your project. It's a nice shed and you have spent a lot of time, effort and money on it.

I think mine is going to be much simpler as i dont have all the tools required. In fact it could be a wooden box with a roof ;) . I just need somewhere for storage with basic security. It wont have electrics, insulation or even a window as these all add to the cost although they could be added at a later date. I will have to use lino on the flat roof and i dont think i can build an apex its too difficult for me.

Above i've created a design to show how it might look. The framework shows the shell to which i could clad all the way round including the roof. The only thing im worried about is the structural strength of this design. e.g. should i use nails or screws to put it together, corner joints and sizes for timber etc. Your input is appreciated.

Hello,

If you want your shed in a place that could be reached by a crane, I'd go for a used shipping container. They come in various sizes, including 20ft, and you can get insulated ones that don't condense inside.

They are as strong as hell, lockable, and would be a lot cheaper than a wooden shed, even with transport and cranage charges.

Yes that would be brilliant. The main problem would be getting the crane to drop the container off as there is only enough space for a car up the driveway. Would it be possible for a large crane to move a container about 25m away from where the crane would be positioned? For example from a main road to the rear garden of a house? Even if there was ground and air clearance to swing it round.

Ive searched a little bit and i think a used 20ft shipping container would cost around £1000-£1200 plus delivery. So quite a bit more expensive but i suppose worth it.

Anyone on here got one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back